Chapter Five

It was dead silent when I woke again but luckily Freddie still hadn't returned for the night and I was so thankful, even as I slept in the cramped corner for the night, I was still alone in the cell and I didn't want to be around anyone. Definitely not Freddie. When I opened my eyes, only one opened fully and the right side of my face was so sore to the touch that I had to rest my chin on my arms instead of my cheek. I sighed while staring forward, my corner was more than comfortable and I didn't plan on moving at all, I slumped slightly and barely noticed the steer in the silence around me until I heard loud steps suddenly. I stiffened back up as the steps slowed until they were barely outside the cell and I looked at the chipping paint before going back to picking at it like I was before I had fell asleep. I remembered humming a few lyrics to a song but I couldn't remember exactly what song it was, but it sounded so familiar whenever I had sung it.

I bit my lip gently, very gently to keep from hurting myself more, and looked at the cell door as Freddie stood there very quietly and not moving a muscle, as if he was skeptish of entering the cell with me. I watched him closely so that I wouldn't fall victim to being caught off guard again in his presence, I didn't want to be put in that position ever again but I knew that wasn't something I could promise myself. But, what I could promise myself... a new person to protect me. Freddie was good at all the opposite things I wanted in someone that was going to be protecting me, he's good at insulting, he's good at ignoring, and he's good at hurting people but he wasn't supposed to do those things to me. He was supposed to protect me but him being someone that wanted more than a casual agreement, he was supposed to make sure that I was safe and taken care of. I wasn't safe with him, I wasn't taken care of by him, and there was no use for me to be around someone like him. 

Freddie's Point Of View:

I wasn't scared, I wasn't angry, and I definitely wasn't ready to apologize but I knew it was a start in the right direction. I cradled the small wrapped box that was very light with a glossy bow on top, I had picked it up from commissary this morning after sleeping on the bottom bunk of Lloyd and Mautrice's cell last night. I nervously shifted the square, red box into my other hand as I eased past the door and inched closer to Barbie as he nestled herself in the corner, he truly thought he was out of my reach. I had snapped yesterday and it was no excuse for what I had done to him, of course he spoke out of turn but it wasn't his fault, I should of fed him like I was supposed to. I halted mid step as he scooted further into the corner and that sight broke my heart, I knew better and my mama would of been pissed off, my grandma probably rolling in her grave also. I kneeled down in front of Barbie as he avoided my gaze but I still was able to catch the sight of his swollen eyes, only causing me to feel even worse. 

I reached forward with my free hand as a frown worked onto my face, I gently pressed the bruising on his cheek and caused him to flinch away in pain with a barely heard whine. I wanted to desperately grab him tightly and clutch him to my chest but there was no way he wouldn't fight me... I would fight me. I decided to settle with giving him the present first, he looked more than reluctant to take the gift out of my hands so I sat it at his feet and backed away from him slowly as he watched me like a hawk. I felt more than guilty and I couldn't blame anyone but myself because I deserved to feel this way, I deserve to lose a sweetheart like Barbie because I couldn't treat him right. However, the thought of Barbie being under someone else, or someone so much as touching his skin, pissed me off. 

Okay, here goes nothing. "I'm sorry." I said, and it came out muttered but he knew what I was saying.

"Fuck you." He replied curtly, making me chuckle lightly at his sexy feistiness, that's what made me adore his presence all those years ago.