Chapter Twelve

"If we were going to be rational... that's the dumbest shit you could of done." Lloyd said, propping his head on his arm as he sat at the cafeteria table. 

I was in complete agreement with Lloyd as he scooted his tray aside while glancing around, and it was obvious that he was just as uneasy as I was as I felt the tension as thick as honey, it felt suffocating to an extent. It felt like everyone was watching us closely, as if they were expecting us to go crazy and start ripping through the gangs with shanks and guns, but that wasn't the plan because Freddie was planning on beasting the competition. Mickey made a noise of agreement as well as he shoved an egg, sausage, and cheese burrito in his mouth and loudly chewed, he sucked a little cheese off his finger and pointed it at Freddie.

"Dumbest shit." Mickey countered, going back to licking his fingers.

I pushed aside my untouched tray of pancakes with a sick feeling pitting in my stomach, I was upset that Freddie had declared war with all the other gangs because that meant he had no ally in the competition. Freddie also refused refused to bend backwards to find someone that would have his side, and I felt like was thinking selfishly because I was also going to be in the car. I bit my lip while unconsciously rubbing at my studded earring that Mautrice had given me when he did pre-touching up to my hair. I was still sitting with aluminum foil variously placed around in my hair to give me an entire new color and he wouldn't tell me what color it was, which caused me to huff and puff but I knew there was no getting him to talk. 

I glanced over at Freddie as he gave Mickey a bored look while chewing on a Honeybun for breakfast, his eyes suddenly drifted in my direction. I quickly averted my eyes because it was a topic I wasn't open to discuss right now, I was worried about other things like what would happen to everyone else around us once Freddie won. Of course Freddie and I wouldn't have to worry about the other rivals causing trouble with us, but the people we left behind would definitely have to deal with them in the future. 

"We're gonna be okay." I looked up Freddie as he spoke, he was talking with security that made me believe him, I had to believe something. 

I felt his hand lightly lay over mine and I simply flipped mine to hold his tightly as he continued to nibble on his breakfast and I didn't bother touching mine, I didn't have an appetite because the race would start tomorrow and that's all I could think about. Everyone was going to targeting Freddie's car and not because he was leaving, but also because he had declared war every single gang that would be racing against him. Six cars would take all their energy to shoot at us, run us off the road, and target their cannons at us but I was at least going to be with Freddie and at his side the entire time. 

If Freddie was to get hurt, I could be there to help him the best I could so that it wouldn't lead to us dying right away. His declaration only meant that Freddie and I would have to fight for our lives and failure wasn't an option in this situation, we had to kill everyone. I squeezed Freddie's hand tighter as he calculatedly glanced around, watching almost every angle of the cafeteria as I looked up as well just in time to catch a few people looking at us. I didn't know anyone, I never met anyone outside of the VL Gang so I couldn't even tell you who these people where because I had never came in contact iwth them before. All I could do was avert my eyes constantly to avoid causing an altercation between any gangs around us, but I only knew the Renegade leader, not anyone inside of his gang. 

"They'll be cool." Turner spoke up, making us all look in his direction as he nursed an orange juice slowly. "Reggie won't target you." 

Everyone almost instantly understood what Turner was saying but me, I was out of the loop and I wanted to know why were the Renegades not going to gun for the car because he said so. There was definitely something going on between them and I was eager to know, I wanted to know if they were sleeping together, that's the only reason I could see the Renegades trying to start war with us. In prison, sex spoke many volumes.