~CHAPTER ELEVEN~

The screeching sound of the brakes on the tarmac signalled that I was already in California. I looked out of the window were I sat . The first thing I observed was the weather, it was their summer, the sun kissed my cheek as I turned away from the blinding rays of sunshine penetration the closed window, dust particles danced around me, notifying me that it was afternoon and then the people.
It is a completely different world I will be living in. Different skin, accent, hair, environment and food. Almost everything will be different but ,there is one thing for sure ,our faeces will still have the same odour no matter what they eat.
The co-pilot made an announcement for all passengers to unbuckle thier seat belt and file out in order. I immediately grabbed my little shoulder bag and stood up to join the queue.
"Am still going to get down before you. Why the rush?" The old white man that sat next to me said brashly.
"I am sorry sir" I muttered embarrassed and sat back. His harsh tone called the attention of the others seated close by.
"Sorry for yourself" he said, he flipped his page of his magazine to the same page he has been reading since we sat on this flight for six hours.
I shook my head, wondering why some old people will still be picking up a fight with young people, if I was a spoilt girl, I would have talked back to this old man, letting him know that he is nobody.
The flight attendant came towards where we sat. She told me to go, as I was about to take my shoulder bag, the old man dragged it.
"Sir, what's the problem?" The fair skinned flight attendant asked.
"The pilot gave an instruction and that is what you should obey. She can't leave before me." The old man ranted, indistinctive talk from the other few passengers filled the air.
"With due respect sir, you are delaying the other passengers. Let this young Afrikaan go, then you go, so easy." the flight attendant explained in her professional tone.
"This girl lacks patience and that is what I want to teach her."
"Please apologize to him" The flight attendant said.
"No! I don't need her apology."
"Sir. I don't know what you want me to do. For the sake of the other passengers let her go. You use crutches. "
"Miss Walter what's going on?" The pilot on seat came to where we were.
"Pls Captain always be careful of the people you allow to board your plane, this is another black that is causing a scene here." the old man said, he was already sweating and shaking in anger .
"Sir, I don't know what I have done to offend you." I said swallowing back tears.
"Seat 30, 31,32....." the flight attendant called the rest of the passengers for them to go down.
"Miss I am sorry, this man is the plane owner. You must have really offended him, you have to pay money for the inconveniences you created." The pilot said to me.
"I am not paying any money. This is what we call racism, I have apologized what else does he what. I don't know how you do things here. I am a student, I came here to study. I don't have any money on me. Please old white man give me my bag" I said building up my last bit of courage.
"You'll have to pay before you collect your bag" the old man said.
"You are wasting my time sir, I can arrest you for theft and public harassment. Is it because of my color you're doing this? How would you feel if someone talks to your granddaughter that way, if she is in Africa? " I said as tears rolled down my cheeks."Let me have my bag" I snatched it out of his hand and walked downstairs to the tarmac.

❇️ ❇️ ❇️

I was surprised by the crowd of reporters blocking the way.
"How would ya describe racism?" one of the male reporters of the BBC asked.
"Racism is finding an invisible fault in some one." I said. The tall blonde wanted to still ask more questions but he was shoved away by a pretty lady .
"Please I would love to know your name?"
"No. Your name first?"
"Okay. I guess you don't wanna tell me. If you were given a chance to fly again, will you fly in Borwan Airlines?"
"Yes. I don't keep malice, I will fly with him, I will have him as my seat partner if we coincidentally board the same plane. " I smiled and the reporter did the same.
"Thanks for your time"
"Same here." I said and walked away.
"You are a celebrity today. Remember me?" My ebony aunt said as she found her way to where I was.
"Aunty Uwa!" I screamed and flunged myself on her in excitement.
"Ah! Ah! Don't fall me down eh!"
"America didn't change you at all. You are still my local Edo aunt." I teased and laughed.
"I am too big for America to change. I don know pass dem" she laughed as she tried to speak pidgin.
I laughed too.
"Let's go. My car is parked outside the airport. Have you collected your boxes?"
"No. Just got down"
"Alright let's bounce out of here. Odion! My one and only Odion." she said as we walked side by side.
"How come you recognized me after seven years?"
"Your face did not change, you only got taller and rounder."
"Are you serious? I look more matured."
"That's what I am saying. Just that ya cute girly face did not change."
"Don't tell me I am carrying a small girls face and a matured body." I frowned as we checked out and walked towards her purple convertible.
"Is that your car?" I asked amused, I have seen the car in movies before, but I was seeing this real life and I was going to ride in one with my hair dancing in the afternoon breeze accompanied with the stares of white boys and girls.
"Wow!" I said amazed at how the roof of the car disappeared as she pressed her car keys to open.
"Get in. Buckle up so you won't fly out. I will be driving at top speed. Our road are majorly express okay?"
"Alright."
"I heard about the demiss of your mother, it's so unfortunate I lost my twin sister so early. Anyway how is the little girl doing?"
"she is doing great. You would want to see her, she is so smart for her age. I am missing her right now as I speak."
"Awwn__ What about the soldiers?"
I chuckled at the use of the adjective she used to describe my brothers.
"They are very well."
"Actually I must confess, it's your dad who told me to pick you from the airport, he described your physique to me, even after describing ya, I still didn't see you until I asked one of the passengers of Borwan Airlines, he pointed to you. Miraculously, I saw a pretty angel dressed in purple pencil gown, with a braided African hair. Your beauty saved me from being sent out of the airport. "
"Aunty Uwa, you like to exaggerate things, I am sure no one wanted to send you away."
"I am serious, the police man stationed at the tarmac told me the person I was looking for was not there, that I should go back but from where I was ,I asked one of the passenger who stood beside me, watching you being hounded by those journalist."
"Okay. Mhen han ne--I have heard you." I spoke in my local dialect.
"My sister taught you well. My Children ___ it is only good morning they know."
"Obowie"
"You are too much"
"I don't really know Edo lang. Very well"
"you are trying. Would you mind if I stop by a fast food outlet, I am sure you'll be hungry."
"No don't worry, I will wait still we get home."
"Are you sure? It's thirty minutes we will spend on road, my house is a bit far o! Abeg eat something."
"Okay". I looked at my aunt, she was just the replica of my mom, she looked the same though the stripe of grey on her black permed hair told me she has aged.