~CHAPTER TWENTY🌷 SIX~

Dust particles flew about in the cold wind. The weather was cold with the sun showing hazily in the sky. It's harmattan. A unique season in Africa, which only occurs in the twelfth month of the year till the early month of the first year.
My plane just recently landed in Nigeria, the flight was faster than I expected. I stood in front of the Muritala Mohammed Airport waiting for my dad to pick me up. I had removed my thick sweater, because I started feeling heat as I arrived. However, America's weather was more chilly than here in Nigeria.
I waved as soon as I sighted my dad's car moving slowly towards my direction. My dad parked, opened the boot and came out.
"See our Americana!" he joyfully exclaimed as he looked at me from head to toe.
"Daddy!" I smiled and hugged him.
I entered and sat on the passengers seat and left my dad with my luggage to put in the boot.
"So how was your flight?" my dad asked as he ignited the engine.
"It was good this time because I didn't meet any troublesome old man. Everyone minded their business." I buckled my seat belt and rested my head on the seat. "I didn't sleep because, I was too excited to see you all again."
"Do you want me to stop by and get snacks for you and perhaps, get for your brothers?"
"No, I have more than enough snacks. Aunt Uwa baked them."
"Oh sweet! Hope they haven't spoilt?"
"No! They are in this bag pack I am carrying . Purely food. I carried it on my lap through out the flight so it wouldn't spoil. "
"We really missed our mummy of the house. I must say you are looking really good. Adesuwa really took good care of you. " he looked at me and then back on the road .
"Awwn. Kayla and Marvin sends their greetings. I have lot of pictures to show you. Can't wait to gist you all, both my bad and pleasant experience."
"Bad?"
"Yes. Oh God!" I sighed and shook my head.

❇️ ❇️ ❇️

"Nora is back! Nora is back." I heard Oghosa chanting from inside as I got out of the car when my dad drove into our compound.
"They are awake now. When I left, they were still sleeping. Do you know I left the house at 6:30am so I could buy fuel for the car and the generator. There is fuel scarcity now, so the queue will be long. That's one of the reason I arrived late to pick you. I would have been the one waiting for you."
"I can't wait to see Ekina." I carried the back pack and ran to the porch, I opened the door and was surprised at what I saw.
"Wh__What are you doing here?" I said irritably.
"Nora so good to see you." .
I shook my head as I pressed my lips into a thin line.
My dad entered the house with my luggage.
"Imade, let me help you." Miss Adenike went to him. I cleared my throat. My dad noticed my uneasiness .
"Nora, This is not the time to talk about this. Can we talk later?" He whispered as he walked pass me to my room.
"Okay." I had to pretend to be nice."Miss Nike it's good to see you too. Sorry for the misunderstanding. " I said the opposite of what was in my mind. Maybe going about it this way will help me. Just pretend to be nice and find out who she really is. All I know about her is that she is dad's colleague at work and that they went to the same University. Pretend.
"it's okay." she smiled in her usual charming way.
I climbed the stairs to my room. I opened it and it looked like someone has been sleeping here since I left.
"Surprise!" Ekina screamed as she opened the wardrobe. She had grown taller, she was four years now.
"Ekinadose!" I shouted joyfully. I carried her and hugged her.
Then I heard the sound of the flute playing.

Where could the noise be coming from?

Suddenly, someone jumped on my back.
"Oghosa!" I turned my head and he kissed my cheek. "So you are the one."
"I missed you".
"Where's Yuki?"
"Right here." he came out of the bathroom.
"My God! See this boy o! You are now taller than me. It's a lie." I said as he hugged me.
Seriously, he was tall. So tall.
"What of Mrs Okafor?"
"Dad paid her off" Oghosa said.
"she left early this year."
Yuki added.
"Why? "
"Because dad is getting married this weekend." Yuki sighed.
"What is Miss Nike doing in our house?"
"She came over because Daddy told her you will be coming today" Oghosa said and Yuki nodded in affirmation to what he said.
"Okay. Let me use the toilet first and then show you what I brought all the way from California. "
"Yay!" Ekina screamed in excitement.
"Nora your accent did not change at all" Oghosa said and pouted, shaking his head.
I hissed "I am a Benin babe now." I laughed and they laughed too.

❇️ ❇️ ❇️

It was past midnight. All my siblings had gone to bed with their stomach full. They ate and ate and also praised Aunt Uwa on her good cooking skills.
My dad hadn't slept, he was in the living room reading through the article he had earlier written on the presidential election.
"You've not slept?" My dad said as I plopped down beside him.
"We haven't talked yet?"
"I thought tomorrow will be better."
"it will never be. Your wedding is in two days. Well, how did you guys come back? Let's start the discussion from there."
He saved his work and logged off on his computer then closed it, "We talked. I asked her questions to know the reason why she wants to marry."
"Have you gone for marriage counseling?"
"Yes. There is no need for you to be worried. She's a nice person."
"You've made your decisions but I've not made mine. Your children are part of the decisions you make. Dad, I just pretended to be nice to her but, I still don't like her. You should have told me first, you told Yuki not to tell me because you think I was the hindrance. I knew while I was over there and that was one of the reason I came back home. I leave the rest to God, if it's God's will, fine. " I said and stood up.
"Noredia, I know it's God's will. There's no turning back."

I can't bear to see Miss Adenike saying 'I do' to my Dad. I can't bear living with her. God, if it's your will then make me love her. Dad's mind is made up, there is nothing I can do.