Chapter 6

After Jonas's panic attack, Percy was a lot more careful about what he said to him. To no surprise, he still called him a dipshit and other names that were more of a joking way. The two would still get into a fight every now and then, but they worked well together.

It had been a week since Erin was arrested for Walter Doyle's murder. Jonas officially knew that there was a gang. He just needed to find them. For Erin, he was sentenced two years in prison and was to be sent back to the AHDA. Either way, he was punished. Jonas and Percy mainly focused on finding that gang's base or hideout. It was most likely that every killer they were looking for was in the gang of runaways. Jonas started bringing his pills everywhere now that he was more likely to experience anxiety.

"I'm at a loss," Percival sighed from the table. They were currently going through possible locations in the investigation room. Jonas had set up a whiteboard with all victims and the AHDA runaways. Jonas peered at the board. "They need a place that no one would expect," he thought aloud. "Oh, maybe they hold a conference in the park once a week," Percival remarked sarcastically. Jonas glared at him, "Not like that." Percy shrugged. "Then what do you think?" Percival asked. Jonas hummed as he thought.

"Someplace that's not patrolled or not patrolled enough... Somewhere things are discrete and often overlooked," Jonas concluded. "Aye, we got a call," Crystal called from the doorway. "A new murder?" Percival jumped. "Not this time, actually. Noise and smell complaints," Crystal smiled. Of course. Probably drugs. Jonas and Percy left the police station and drove to an old apartment complex.

It was about 6:32 p.m. Jonas looked around. The part of Boston they were in was old. Definitely not like everything else. It was so... dark. Percival pulled into the parking lot and got out with Jonas soon to follow. Jonas looked up at the building before him. It was old. Not a bad kind of old but old. It definitely looked like something built back before the AHDA times. The place was mostly clean, but some windows were broken. Shady.

"What room?" Jonas asked, peering over at Percy. "Apartment 14 on the 4th floor," Percy replied, still looking at the building. The two made the walk up to the 4th floor and found their targeted apartment.

"Stay behind me," Percy said to Jonas as he blocked him from going any further. Jonas just furrowed his brows at him. Percival banged on the door, "Boston Police! Open the door!" There was no response then they both heard stumbling around in the apartment. Someone was home after all. The door creaked open just a small bit, but it was enough for Percy to see the face of an unshaven man. His brown hair was messy and rustled under his beanie.

Percy sighed, "We've had a couple of noise complaints along with people claiming to be smelling drugs from your apartment." The man grew nervous. "All my neighbors are a bunch of wackos who don't know how to mind their own damn business," the man said. "If that's so then why did someone report you on saying, "I'll set your fucking trash on fire then I'll toss you in it."?" Jonas asked. The neighbor was just a couple doors down who filed that. The man got uneasy and Jonas and Percival could see him shifting on his legs.

"Look... I get a little angry with the neighbors when they leave their shit everywhere," the man excused. He had a slight slur in his words. He even looked a little under the influence. "Have you had any drug or alcohol usage lately, sir?" Percival asked. "Um," the man trailed. "We're gonna need to look around," Percival inquired, but the man slammed his door.

Percy slammed on the door with his fist. "Open up, you little shit!" Percy shouted to him. Jonas stared at the door and walked down the hall. "Where the hell are you going?" Percy shouted to Jonas, but he simply ignored him and knocked on someone's door.

A man looking about in his mid 30s opened the door. He looked down at Jonas, "Can I help you?" "Do you have a baseball bat I could borrow for a moment?" Jonas asked him. The man looked bewildered by Jonas's strange request, but he didn't judge him. "One moment," the man said before returning back into his apartment to retrieve Jonas's desired object. He returned no more than ten seconds later with an old baseball bat. "You'll return it?" the man questioned before handing over the bat to Jonas. Jonas simply nodded and took the bat. He walked back to Percy who was still pounding on the wooden door.