Chapter Nine

Thomas and Minho both kept me talking so I'd stay awake. The ride hadn't seemed as long as it actually was but when we got to the mountain pass Jorge slowed the truck to a stop. In front of us looked to be a bunch of old abandoned vehicles blocking the road. We all got out of the truck. I stumbled a bit but Minho caught me then kept a hold on me.

"Well, I guess we're on foot," Jorge said.

We started walking slowly up the road. Minho kept his arm tightly around my waist as I tried to keep myself steady. My vision was blurring making my head swim even more than it already was. A few of the guys were checking the cars as we walked past them. We were around the middle of the abandoned cars when shots rang out making us all dive for cover. I fell against a car between Minho and Newt. A minute passed as we all listened for more gunfire.

"Is everyone ok up there?" Thomas shouted.

"We're fine!" Teresa shouted back to him.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt questioned loudly.

I could feel my breathing waver. It was like my heart was trying to beat faster but my body wasn't letting it. I saw Thomas peek over the car he was hiding behind then more shots rang out as he dived back down.

"Minho" I whispered feeling myself falling into unconsciousness.

My chest grew heavier making it harder to breathe.

"No, Emi, you gotta hang on. We're almost there." Minho said frantically as he held my face in his hands.

"Emi" Newt said.

"Everybody get set to sprint back to the truck and hold your ears!" Jorge shouted.

"I can't" I panted as I shook my head.

"Drop it" I heard a girl command.

I looked up to see two young girls with a cloth over their faces. They were both holding a gun and pointing it down at the place Thomas and Jorge were hiding.

"Now! I said drop it! On your feet, let's go. Let's go!" The dark-haired girl shouted.

Jorge and Thomas got to their feet with their hands raised.

"Move! Back up!" The dark-haired girl shouted again.

As Thomas and Jorge moved backward towards us the girl pointed her gun at Minho, Newt, and myself.

"You three over here now! Don't be stupid." She ordered.

Newt and Minho both helped me to my feet. Minho took over holding me once I was righted.

"Slowly," the blonde girl said as she pointed her gun at the rest of the group that was joining us.

The dark-haired girl lowered her gun as she looked at us in confusion.

"Aris?" She questioned.

We all turned to look at the small boy. He stepped forward towards the girl.

"Oh my God, Harriet?" He questioned then quickly hugged the girl.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Harriet asked him.

"Sonya," Aris said to the blonde girl then hugged her.

"Aris, you're lucky we didn't shoot you're dumbass." Sonya chuckled.

"What's happening?" Minho asked clearly confused.

"We were in the maze together," Aris said to our group.

Harriet turned then whistled loudly.

"We're clear guys come on out!" She shouted.

Several people with guns started appearing on top of the mountain around us.