Chapter Fourteen

I had fallen asleep at some point during the night. I woke up laying down in the back seat with my head laying on Newt's lap.

"Morning" he said with a smile.

I pulled myself up in a sitting position. It looked to be late morning early afternoon. Thomas had the map unfolded as he told Fry where to go.

"Did you sleep well?" Thomas asked as he folded up the map.

"It was fine" I said rolling my eyes.

By midday, we were coming up on a mandatory infection checkpoint. That's what the sign had said anyway. The sign and everything past it looked completely run down. It looked like a creepy old ghost town. Fry pulled up to the tunnel in front of us but stopped. We all climbed out to stretch our legs and get a better look at the dark road ahead of us. I had a real bad eerie feeling as I stopped to stand next to Fry.

"Want us to go in there?" Newt asked as he stopped next to me.

Thomas was looking over the map as he stopped next to Newt.

"I don't want to come across as too negative but I mean if I was a crank that's exactly where I'd be." Newt said pointing at the dark tunnel.

"I don't think we have much of a choice." Thomas said putting down the map.

"You're joking" I chuckled nervously.

Newt sighed.

"Alright, I get shotgun." Newt said then went back to the jeep.

I looked at Fry to see him gulp then turn back to the jeep as well.

"Tommy you can't be serious." I said quietly as I stepped over to my brother.

"I'm afraid I am. Come on. We'll be fine." Thomas said but he didn't look sure of his own words.

We both climbed into the back seat then Fry started to drive slowly. I took a deep breath as we entered the tunnel. I did not have a good feeling about this at all. I wasn't one to scare easy when it came to normal humans but these cranks were something out of the devil's worse nightmares.

As we entered the tunnel a little more Fry turned on the headlights as Newt stuck his flashlight out the window.

"Here we go" Fry said quietly.

"Just take it nice and slow." Newt told him.

We drove a few more feet into the darkness.

"Woah, woah, woah," Fry said quickly as he stopped the jeep.

Right in front of us stood a crank.

"It's okay, it's just one. Take it slow. Go around him. We'll be fine." Thomas said.

"Take it slow. Take it slow." Fry said nervously as he nodded.

Thomas leaned back in his seat as Newt quickly rolled up his window.

"Holy shit!" I shouted at the same time Thomas jumped practically into my lap.

A cranked out woman was standing right at Thomas' window.

"Please," she said then pulled at the door handle.

"Help me," she said then tried the handle again.

"Please," she said again.

I screamed as something slammed against my window. It was another crank.

"Fry we gotta go!" Thomas shouted looking back and forth at the two cranks.

My heart started racing. I do not want to die by cranks. I do not want to turn into a crank. Fry screamed making me jump as another one slammed against his window.