Chapter Seventeen

I sat on top of the roof with my back against the edge. I was slowly going through each of the drawings in the folder. Most of them were of me. They were all so delicate and beautiful. So perfectly drawn with so much detail. It was clear Gally had taken his time on each of them.

"Knock knock" a soft voice said from the top of the stairs.

I turned my head to see Fry standing in the doorway. I gave him a small smile.

"Can I join you?" He asked hesitantly.

I nodded then patted the spot next to me. He walked over then carefully sat down beside me.

"What's that?" He asked pointing to the folder.

I put the drawings back inside it then handed it to him.

"That man, Lawrence, gave it to me. He said they were Gally's." I said softly.

Fry opened the folder. He smiled as he flipped through the drawings.

"Wow, he got really good at this." Fry said quietly.

"You knew he could draw?" I asked him.

Fry nodded as he pulled out the drawing of me laughing.

"He always had an eye for details. Looks exactly like you." Fry smiled.

He placed the paper back in the folder then handed it back to me. I sighed.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you." I said softly.

Fry chuckled.

"You don't have to apologize Em. I get it. You're under a lot of stress." He smiled at me.

"I do need to apologize Fry. You were there for me when everyone else was busy with their own problems. You stayed up at night to keep me company. You held me when I cried. You made me laugh when all I wanted to do was tear myself apart. You confessed feelings for me that I wasn't ready to reciprocate but you still continued to stand beside me and be my friend. You've been so understanding and loving and now I'm treating you like none of that ever happened and I'm sorry. I don't ever want to forget what you've been to me in the past year. I'm just so conflicted." I felt the tears fall down my cheeks as I spoke.

Fry gently pulled the folder from my hands then laid it on the ground. He picked me up then gently sat me on his lap. I buried my face in his neck so I could let everything I felt come out. He wrapped his arms tightly around me.

"Emi, you're right, I do have feelings for you but I know what you and Gally had. What you still have. I saw it with my own eyes. I knew I'd never replace him. I never wanted to. I just want to be there for you however I can. I can't imagine what is going through your head now that we know he's alive. I just want you to know it's okay. Don't feel any guilt for wanting to run to him. He's the love of your life. A love you thought you'd lost forever but now you've got the chance at a real life with him. I'm always gonna be your friend. When we go back down there do me a favor." Fry paused to look down at me.

I sniffled then pulled away from him so I could look him in the eyes.

"You grab that dumb shank and you kiss him. Make sure he knows what you feel. Don't hesitate. Don't you worry about me either. I'll happily stand by you both." He smiled down at me.

"Thank you Fry" I whispered.

"It's what friends are for Em." He leaned forward then placed a soft kiss to my forehead.

He stood up pulling me to my feet with him. He picked the folder up from the ground then handed it to me.

"I believe this belongs to you." He chuckled.