Chapter 11- Dinner and a Show

“Can I ask,” Joan started once they were in a taxi, heading home. “What did you mean by going next door?”

Shelby smiled and looked at her phone once more. She had asked her sister to research Sherlock Holmes and got a ton of information. “Oh, Joan we might have visitors tonight.” Joan rolled her eyes and sighed. “What?” Shelby asked.

“It’s just,” Joan stuttered. “I really like John. And, I just, would like to keep him as a friend and impress him. You just keep acting as if he’s normal. You don’t see that I fancy him! He’s going to run off like every man!”

“No,” Shelby inputted quietly.

“What did you say?” Joan asked.

“No,” Shelby said stronger. “Do you know why I act like myself? Because I am protecting you. A man doesn’t deserve you unless he knows your life. I will want you with me and not somewhere else and John knows that. He’s willing to share you and not get jealous. And you would do the same. You two are loyal people and deserve each other. I always gauge the men you chose and they never deserve you. They aren’t as loyal as you are and they cannot share you. You are too good for everyone, Joan. John is the only one who can measure to your greatness.” Joan’s mouth dropped. Shelby sighed. “What I’m trying to say is that I don’t want you to get in a relationship that you will be uncomfortable in.” Joan bit her lip, a tear ran down her face. Why was she sad? Did Shelby accidentally offend her?

“Come here, you sociopath.” Joan smiled and hugged Shelby tightly. Shelby was confused about the gesture. Was Joan sad or happy? “You are the bestest friend in the whole world.”

“So are you.” Shelby returned the hug. Joan was happy. The cab stopped and they got out. Joan paid the cabbie and walked with Shelby to the door. They walked inside, both smiling.

“So, will you play the piano while I make dinner?” Joan asked. Shelby sighed.

“Fine,” She replied. “What would you like?”

“Um, do you know any music from the Nutcracker Ballet?” Shelby instantly perked up.

“I know every piece by heart.” Joan smiled.

“The russian variation please.”

“Of course madam.” Shelby fake bowed and opened the door into their flat. Joan laughed and went inside. Both took off their coats and Shelby whisked off her scarf. Shelby sat down at the piano. “Wait, Joan.” Joan gave Shelby a look. “I’ll need your help.”

“I don’t play piano.” Joan stated.

“I know that, but sit next to me and you’ll learn the bass part to the song.” Joan groaned.

“What are we going to eat?” Joan asked.

“We’ll make something later. Come on!” Shelby cried out. Joan smiled and sat down. Shelby taught her how to hold her hands and showed the chords. They spent an hour at the piano, playing the song slowly. Joan messed up a lot of times and they just laughed about it. Then, there was a knock on their flat door.

“Who is it?” Shelby yelled.

“Mr. Hunter, dears!” Mr. Hunter called from the closed door.

“Come in!” Joan called. Mr. Hunter opened the door.

“There’s someone at the door for you girls,” Mr. Hunter informed.

“I’ll get it,” Shelby stated, standing up. “Joan, can you start dinner?” Joan nodded.

“You will be eating this time, right?” Joan asked.

“A little bit,” Shelby answered. Joan wouldn’t happy with her answer but she wouldn’t say anything. Shelby headed down and opened the door. There stood Sherlock and John. “I was expecting you two. Come in.” Sherlock and John walked in and Shelby closed the door. They started walking up the steps, Shelby somehow managing to get in front of them.