36- Extreme Embarrassment

Tanya's POV:

Raghav went ahead with the ice cream as I had to wash my face. Or else everyone would notice that I cried.

As I moved out of the kitchen, I saw that they all were having a serious debate about the wedding. So I stopped near the dining table, not wanting to disrupt the flow, by walking in between the conversation.

"Why are you planning to have your wedding in may? I heard that the best season of Havelock Islands ends in february", Trisha asked Rishi.

"If we have the wedding in the peak season, then the rates would higher. And our budget will go overboard", Rishi explained, looking hopeful that everyone would understand.

"But we have that kind of money. We can afford it. And I want the best for my son", Mom spoke adamantly.

Rishi sighed before going towards Mom. "Yes, Mom, you are right. We can afford it, but what about Nikhil's parents? They wish to contribute in this marriage and I don't want to refuse their wish.

"Being said that, I can't let them suffer for fulfilling their wish. We can't use up their life savings for a two days marriage. If we choose to marry in may, then it would be affordable for them", Rishi spoke gently yet firmly, letting everyone know that he was final on his decision.

To be honest, I never expected this from Rishi. He was more of a carefree guy, while Raghav fulfilled the duty of being thoughtful and responsible. I felt really proud of this growth. But the very next moment, he opened his mouth and ruined everything.

"Oh! Look Tanya is also here. What did you think? Just because you sent Raghav a few minutes before, we won't understand, hmm?

"What were you lovebirds doing, while I was discussing important matters about my marriage? I don't think, it takes so much time to bring ice cream", Rishi spoke in a teasing tone, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Everyone else bursted out laughing and joined in. Mom and Dad too weren't left behind.

"Come on, tell us, what took you so long?" Mom asked cheekily, while looking too happy, as if her long last wish was fulfilled.

I looked at Raghav for help, but he too was red with embarrassment.

As they all didn't stop with their suggestive questioning, I tried to give some answer.

"Ice cream had spilled so we were just cleaning it", I lied through my teeth.

"Rightttt", Trisha said sarcastically.

A second round of laughter erupted as none of them believed my lie. My mouth opened and closed, unable to come up with something else. I looked at Raghav helplessly, but he was too stunned by the situation to speak anything.

They didn't look like they were going to stop anytime soon. It was getting too awkward for me. My heart beats were rising frantically. I had embarrassed myself too many times to count. But this- the notion they had, knowing what they were imagining, was too much to take.

Not being able to take any more of it, I turned on my heels and ran towards my room to hide. Given my rotten luck, I wasn't even able to go past three steps. Due to mind being on the teasing, my leg slipped and I rolled down the stairs.

"Aaaahhh", a scream left my mouth as the pain crept up on my leg.

Being the awesome person, I was, I ended up twisting my ankle. The only good thing about this fall was that the laughing session ended in a second.

"Oh my God! Tanya!"

"Shit!"

"Dammit!"

No, these curses weren't spewed out from my mouth. These were from my lovely family, who came running towards me as I sat there crying my eyes out for the second time of the day.

Trisha helped me to get into a sitting position, from my original sprawled form.

"Don't worry, I am okay", I tried to reassure everyone with a wobbly smile.

"Ouch!!" My smile vanished and turned into a scream as Rishi poked on my bruised ankle.

"RISHI", Every other person yelled at him.

"What?! Tanya said she was okay", Rishi said with an innocent face.

Innocent my foot! His eyes were overflowing with mischief.

Before he could do any more damage, I tried to stand up. Loosing my balance again, I fell down, hurting my injured leg once more.

Mom face palmed at my sight and turned towards Raghav.

"What are you doing by just standing there? Pick her up and take her to the room before these kids cause more trouble", Mom ordered him.

While being called a kid in front of my husband was insulting, it was a relief that I wasn't alone in this. Rishi was getting insulted too.

'Wait a minute!! Why am I focussing on the insult? Did mom just tell Raghav to pick me up? Just kill me now. I wasn't able to handle a hug from him, how was I going to manage him lifting me up?'

'Raghav, please say no, please say no', I chanted in my head.

My eyes went wide as I saw him coming closer. Knowing that this idiot wouldn't do anything, I had to take the matter in my own hands.

"There's no need for this. I can get up myself", I assured them, while frantically shaking my head at Raghav, warning him to not come closer.

"You already tried that", Trisha interjected while Rishi completed her sentence with sarcasm, "And we all saw, how successful you were".

I narrowed my eyes at them. At this moment, I couldn't decide whether they were my friends or enemies. 'Yeah, I haven't informed them that our relation is still non-existent. But can't they just leave us be'.

"But...", I tried but my protest fell into deaf ears.

Raghav kneeled before me. Whispering a 'sorry', he picked me up in his arms.

I closed my eyes and turned my face away, not being able to handle the closeness.

Bouncing, as he climbed the stairs with me in his arms, I tried my best to remain stiff so that any accidents wouldn't happen.

I didn't open my eyes, even after he had placed me on the bed gently. This was just too much for me. I wasn't sure, if I could ever face him again.