Chapter 16

I've uploaded again! Please make sure to like and comment if you enjoyed it!

I will be updating weekly now so make sure to add to your library to get the notifications!

S. A. A

                               °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

I smiled, walking over to him before waving a goodbye to Emut.

"You called, Negus?" I said politely to which he smiled wilfully before walking along the cobblestone of the village centre that we had just arrived at. Again, we were at Penta province to help with the festival preparation.

He skimmed a hand against a taut cheekbone in thought.

"I trust the journey was adequate?" He questioned and I grimaced slightly.

Ayla and the others had already left for the village by the time Emut and I had finished training and, so, that meant a different mode of transportation.

"Not as efficient as Ayla's transport, I'm presuming?" He probed further, a knowing smile on his face and I huffed loudly remembering how much nausea I had felt.

"It's just- camels? I don't plan to do that ever again." I sighed out, still remembering the rocking motion. Emut had laughed at my plight and I had merely let out a curse word that he did not know the meaning of.

He nodded thoughtfully as we made our way through the crowds. The villagers would stop to greet him and he would smile in return before turning to me.

"And, everything else? How are you finding that?" He asked and I nodded politely, letting a smile flit on my face at the memories of helping yesterday.

"It's going fine, thank you, Negus. I've been enjoying helping the villagers." I said honestly and Negus smiled at my words before leading me to the side. I followed after him, listening as he spoke.

"Then, might I suggest what you should lend a helping hand to today?" He asked, his tone calm and steady. I smiled at this, feeling glad as I was unsure on what I wanted to lend my hand to help with.

He halted suddenly and I looked forward to see the person I was trying to avoid.

Maya, upon hearing movement, looked up from her job and scowled at me. I turned to Negus who gave me another smile.

"Maya could use some help. See to it that she gets some." He said simply and, before she could argue, he was walking away, giving me a look that showed he knew too much. I watched as he walked away, too scared to turn around, but at long last I relented. Turning on my heels, I sucked in a breath when Maya's cold green eyes landed on me, a look of hatred on her face.

We stayed like this for a few moments, her scrutinizing me until I finally decided to say something.

"What can I do to help?" I said sweetfully, feeling grateful that my voice didn't waver as I spoke.

Maya let out a sharp laugh at this before standing up. Her tall frame stood towering over me and I stepped back unconsciously.

"And why would I need the help of a weak and good-for-nothing little girl?" She spat out, eying my small frame.

I bit my lip to stop from saying anything I would regret and looked at her head on. Instead of retorting, I chose to change the subject, looking at the small cups filled with some sort of liquid.

"And, what are these?" I questioned, crouching down to take a hold of them.

Maya snorted, unfolding her arms before snatching it out of my hand.