Chapter 3✓

Carter 

I look up and over my shoulder so I can look at the man who's saved me. When our eyes meet, all coherent thoughts fly right out of my incredibly gaping mouth. Holy Mother Goddess, this man is beautiful. No. Beautiful is not the right word. More like devastatingly handsome. It's almost painful to look at him.

I feel my face flush crimson as he lifts me back onto my feet. I turn towards my savior to thank him, only to find the words still wrapped up in my throat. My eyes roam over him, taking in his appearance. He has the brightest blue eyes I think I have ever seen. They're framed so perfectly by rows upon rows of thick lashes and sharp, slightly peaked eyebrows.

He has a sharp jawline, with a short, well manicured scruff. Silky looking black hair that looks so lush I have to clench my hands into tight fists at my side to keep myself from running my fingers through it. He's wearing a black shirt which is covered by a black leather jacket with rolled sleeves that show off his very tattooed arms and faded blue jeans that seriously fit exactly right.

I run my eyes over his arms, admiring his tattoos. On one hand was the snarling face of a black wolf. Its blue eyes are vibrant and entirely too realistic. On the other hand, along the top is one thick lettered, elegantly scrawled word. Alpha. Running up the length of his left arm is a forest type landscape, thick with trees. While the right had a compass, skull, and an hourglass, enclosed by smaller, swirling designs.

"I... I um..." I look back into his eyes to find them filled with amusement. My face turns ten shades darker.

Oh goddess, Carter, get your shit together! Say something! Don't look like a complete fool in front of this hunk of a man.

He chuckles. "It's okay, I think what you are looking to say is, thank you. The names Xander." He holds his hand out for me to shake.

My stomach drops right onto the concrete at my feet, as all color drained from my face. No... Oh, hell no. There is no fucking way that my luck sucks this badly that the first person I would possibly run into, while quite literally, would be one of the two people I was sure I was going to avoid.

I look up at him again. How in the hell could nine years have turned my slightly nerdy looking best friend, into this perfectly rugged, biker man? Oh, my actual good Goddess, he was gorgeous. My dream brain did the real man no justice.

He smirks down at me, and I notice that little dimple on his right cheek. Yep, that's my Xander. No. Not my anything. I realize that I'm just standing there staring at him with my mouth open like a gasping fish.

I snap my mouth shut with an audible click and look down at my feet like they are the most interesting thing on the planet. My stupid, betraying cheeks flush crimson again.

He drops his hand and gives a soft chuckle that almost sounds more like a rumble. "Aaaand... your name is?"

The hair stands on the back of my neck and I turn to look across the street. The feeling like someone is watching me spreads along my body. Among a few people on the street, not one seems to be paying attention to our conversation. Or even looking over at us for that matter.

A pit lodges in my stomach. I look down at my watch. Shit, I'm going to be late! I tuck my hair behind one ear as I reach down for my bag. With my hand latched around its handle, I stand and look back into those piercing eyes of his.

"I... I have to go. I'm going to be late. Thank you for saving me from my fall." I chuckle awkwardly and shake my head, my auburn hair falling back into my face slightly.

I rub my hand down one of my arms as I try to rid my body of the awkward tension and once more, I tuck my hair behind one ear. I turn to walk away when I feel Xander touch my arm.