Chapter 43✓

Carter

"What do you mean in front of the whole pack? Like just getting the mating mark, not like... mating mating? Right? And why is this the second best day of my life and not the first?" I am practically hyperventilating at this point.

Serena laughs melodiously and puts her hand softly on my shoulder. "Breathe, Daughter of the Moon and Sun. Just breathe. I will explain it all to you one thing at a time, okay?" Her calm mannerism washes over me and I nod vigorously, taking a few deep breaths.

I never met Quinn or Xander's parents as a kid and looking back on it now, I probably should have found it weird. While I understand why, after meeting Serena I really wish that I had the opportunity to have her in my life sooner. Her mothering nature makes the age old ache in my chest swell. I'm so grateful to have her in my life now.

I resent my parent's so much for how I was treated as a kid. A lot of information was dug up during my capture with Tyler and Viktor and I know I'll need to come to terms with it at some point, I'm just not ready to forgive them for it all yet. Or if I'll ever be able to, I guess.

"Well, I guess I should say that the reason this will be the second best day of your life is because the best day will be the day you bear me my grand pups." She grins wickedly.

I haven't really given children a thought before. It hasn't really in the cards for me, what with having my heart torn between two men for my whole life and refusing to open myself up to the possibility of a relationship with all the emotional baggage that I carry and stuff. You know, basic everyday shit.

Is everyone expecting me to have children right away? Do the guys expect this of me? It's not that I don't want to have kids, I love kids. But am I ready to have them now? I don't know. Too much has happened too quickly, and I just don't know.

How would that work with having two mates as well? Would my child feel like an outcast because he or she was only the offspring of one of my partners? Would one of my mates be hurt that they were not the biological parent? This was definitely something that needed to be discussed before the mating ceremony.

"Relax, my girl. No one expects you to be bearing pups immediately. You are stressing yourself out more than you should be." She chuckles lightly.

"Next, the mating ceremony. I have had the perfect dress put aside for you for years now. Alana, my perfect assistant, and I will get you dressed and ready for the ceremony."

"Can... can you please explain the ceremony part? I just want to know what to expect." My cheeks flush crimson.

"Absolutely. I don't want to give it all away, but I can give you the gist of it." Serena nods and a relived whoosh of air leaves my lungs.

"After you are dressed and ready, you will be brought out to the meadow behind the pack house. It is beautiful and filled with moon flowers. In this meadow, the pack will gather to watch you join together with Quinn and Xander under the light of the moon. The moon goddess will bless your love and commitment and bestow a mate bond between you."

"Do you mean that it would be the same as what the mate bond would be like if the Moon Goddess gave it to begin with? Like a fated mate?" I question.

She shakes her head and smiles sadly at me. "No, my girl. This is different but know that our loving goddess will place an incredible bond between you, and it will be just as important."

"Okay. I just want to be worthy of them. Worthy of your packs. I know that being a Luna is extremely important, but I am just a human. I am feeling a little insecure over this, to be honest." I lower my eyes away from her piercing gaze and tuck my hair behind one ear.