xᴠɪ | daylight ﹙ʜᴇʀᴍᴇs﹚

You awoke when you heard your father’s gentle voice whispering in your ear.

“Y/N,” he said.

You rose from your pile of textbooks and rubbed your eyes. “How long was I asleep?”

“You fell asleep in the library again. . . .” your father scolded.

“I’m sorry, I—” you yawned.

“I told you, finish your homework in the afternoon so you won’t have to stay up late, or you could ask Megaera to teach you—”

You chuckled. “Father, I’m just alright. I can handle it myself.”

“Was it my fault? I am very sorry, I was too busy, I don’t have time to help you out with school. I should be the one helping you—”

“Father,” you interrupt him. “I said I am alright.”

Your father smiled and stroked your hair gently. “Did you finish it?”

“I did. I was too tired to walk back to my room. I swear it will never happen again.”

“I hope this school thing isn’t doing something bad to you. I’m worried you’re forgetting to take care of yourself.”

“Father, I swear I’m alright.” You took your father’s hand and gave it a tight squeeze. “Why did you wake me up, anyway? What time is it?”

A faint smile formed on your father’s lips. “It’s autumn time.”

You jumped off your seat. “Really?” you asked in disbelief.

He nodded. “Your mother will arrive anytime soon.”

“I gotta—” you fumbled on your notes, but your father stopped your hands.

“Leave it there, I will ask Megaera to keep it for you. Go, get ready for your mother’s arrival.”

“Thanks, father.” You gave your father a hug and a kiss in the cheek before you rush to your room.

You quickly changed out of you day-old clothes and put on something more decent. Your mother’s return is something you look forward to every year. Not just because the Underworld seems lifeless (no pun intended) without her, but also because when she leave for the mortal world every year, she gave you presents when she return. You have never been upstairs, as you call it, so tiny things from the upper world that your mother brings you make you happy indeed.

When you were little, you always beg your mother to take you with her everytime she leaves for the mortal world. As much as your mother wanted to take you, your parents are worried about what will happen to you if people found out about your existence. “You can never trust humans,” your mother said. “You are much safer down here.”

But your parents understand your desire for the outside world. “You are right, it is quite depressing to be here all the time,” your father said, chuckling. “How about when your mother return in fall, I ask her to bring something for you?”

Your face brightened. “Really?”

“Only if you swear that you would never think about going out on the mortal world again.”

He squeezed your hand. “Everything you need is here, Y/N. There is nothing outside that you cannot find here. It’s just like this out there. I can give you anything you want, just not go out there.” He looked at you with his sad dark eyes, and you can see desperation in those. “Promise me you would never leave the Underworld.”

Your father was serious about that. When you were little, Thanatos and you were very close. Everyday after his work, he will tell you tales about mortals. But then suddenly Thanatos won’t tell you about humans anymore. You knew that he was only doing his job so you stopped bugging him about it. Later on, the fact dawned on you that you will never see the mortal world.