Professor Ratigan

Here's the rat Basil was talking about in the previous chapter. Plus, Eve's in this chapter.

Chapter 4: Professor Ratigan

That night, Fidget and Eve brought Flaversham to Ratigan. "I'm sorry, but I have to do this," Eve told him sadly as they brought him in the barrel, then walked away with her boyfriend so that they could both take a nap.

"Wait!" Flaversham cried out to the bats.

"Good work, bats," Ratigan praised, "Now you, toymaker. Build this robot."

"Fidget, I thought we were..." Eve started to say.

"Eve, as soon as Ratigan is gone as in 'gone gone', we'll be out of his clutches like I promised," Fidget promised.

She knew what he meant. "Okay," she sighed.

"Let's get some sleep." And he climbed up the barrel. Eve scrambled up after him and he lovingly took her by the arm.

...

Mr. Flaversham was held captive by the rat, who the bat worked for. Hiram was dragging levers to test out the project he was working on, which was soon to be the queen because the professor wanted to murder the real queen of Mousedom. The robot was connected to the cord, so he could do tricks with the robot, such as pouring tea. While the project itself was fascinating, it broke his heart that he had to make this robot to replace the real queen.

Hiram was glad his son and daughters were there to support and care for each other, but he wondered if someone was there to help them along the way. Were they able to find Basil safely? How would they find the sibling's father and save him?

Mr. Flaversham's thoughts were interrupted by a dark form in the shadow, who was smoking a cigarette holder. The figure chuckled darkly as he admired the toymaker's handiwork. The individual was a big grey furred rat with a black tuxedo, black cape with a red underside, dark pink and dark purple bowtie, tall white collar, and dark grey vest with buttons. He also had yellow eyes, lavender rims around his eyes, and neatly combed black hair. It was none other than Professor Ratigan, the world's greatest criminal mind, himself! "Quite an ingenious scheme, eh Flaversham?" Ratigan asked and pinched the toymaker's cheeks like he would a child, adding, "And aren't you proud to be a part of it?" Ratigan laughed inwardly as Mr. Flaversham pulled himself away from the disgusting rat.

Hiram gulped as he continued using the controls. "T...this whole thing is-is...i-i-it's monstrous!"

But Ratigan was unfazed. He was proud of his evil plot. "We will have our device ready by tomorrow evening, won't we?" Ratigan took out his bell with the handle between his fingers, which was meant for people who disobeyed his orders, meaning they could be eaten by his cat, Felicia. "You know what would happen if you, uh...fail." He let the bell slip, making a light chime.

The toymaker's blood boiled. His mustache twitched as he started to lose his temper. "I...I...I don't CARE!" he raged as he violently pulled back the controls, letting it lose control. The robot dumped a pot of tea on its head and thrust it at the rat, who ducked before it got him. The robot continued its spastic state and bounced until it started to die down, but let oil fly out of its arm.

The oil landed on Ratigan's shoulder, much to the sewer rat's disgust.

"You can do what you want with me!" Mr. Flaversham shouted defiantly as Ratigan angrily watched him confront him, while using a pink handkerchief to clean out his stain. "I won't be a part of this-this...this evil any longer!"

Ratigan, still unaffected by the toymaker's defiance, knowing what he really meant, inhaled smoke from his nose and shrugged. "Mmm...very well. If that is your decision." He chuckled and saw a wind-up toy flower that was made for the toymaker's youngest daughter. "Oh, uh, by the way, I'm taking the liberty of having your daughter brought here." He picked up the toy and wound it, giving him a toothy grin.