Rescuing the Queen

Chapter 17: Rescuing the Queen

At Buckingham Palace, the natives of London, young and old anticipated the queen's introduction in the royal hall. Upon a balcony, two of Ratigan's thugs, impersonating as guards blew the trumpets to report the queen. A spotlight lit up on the green curtains that were soon parted, revealing the robot queen. Seeing the queen in time for her presentation, they cheered and clapped, unknowing that this queen was a robot.

The robot came to a stop once it stood on stage and the audience ceased clapping, so they could listen to her speech.

"On this most August occasion," the toy queen said, raising its left arm, "We are gathered here, not only to commemorate my sixty years as Queen, but to honor one..."

No one in the crowd expected anything misleading with the phony guards. One guard smoked a cigar and his friend raised eyebrows at each other. Behind the curtains, Ratigan saw everything was going his way.

"...of true noble stature, that is..." Hiram said.

Ratigan glanced at the vulnerable Hiram as the father operated the controls and read the words on the cards Bill was holding to recite them. In the process, a guard pointed his gun at the poor toymaker to make him go on. Hiram had a bad feeling about this from the start, but it was the only way to save his children and friends.

"I present to you, a statesman among mice," Hiram read and Bill changed to a different card as the widower continued, "...a gifted leader..."

"...A crusader for justice..." the robot continued its speech by placing its hand over its heart.

...

Down the hallway, the real queen was being gagged and bound by ropes as she was pulled away by Fidget.

"Over here, fatty! You weigh a ton, toots!" Fidget snickered manically as he bolted out one door and the queen muffled as she regarded the cat in fright. "Here kitty, kitty, kitty. Time for mouse chow!"

Felicia hopped up and down enthusiastically at her upcoming meal.

...

Back in the great hall, the robot queen continued her speech, making the crowd more thrilled.

"A majestic mountain of humility," the robot queen gestured toward the curtains. "And my new royal consort..."

The crowd was even more eager and wondered who it would be. The answer came plain as the robot queen announced:

"Professor Ratigan!"

Right on cue, the rat presented himself in overly rich royal garments. A crown positioned on his head, with many gold medals alongside purple robes, with a belt with the letter "R" engraved in the middle. On the left side of his belt was a sword and he felt like a king. He hoped his presentation would go well for the citizens.

The crowd gasped in alarm at the professor because there was no doubt he'd give out a diabolical speech. They couldn't believe their queen would allow a villainous felon like Ratigan himself be their ruler.

A little boy mouse from the audience angrily blew a raspberry at Ratigan, but his mother, concerned for her son, covered his mouth.

...

Meanwhile, Basil, Dawson, Olivia, Eve, Andrew, and Clover climbed up the sewer grate and made it to the cobblestone street. The detective whistled for Toby, who barked, dashed behind a building, and splashed through a puddle on his way to them.

"Toby!" Basil cried.

Dawson, Olivia, Andrew, Clover, and Eve came up towards the basset hound, who licked the little girl across her cheek. Olivia chuckled and almost fell, but Dawson caught her.