It's Not Over Yet

I decided to name Eve's parents Shade and Luna.

Chapter 20: It's Not Over Yet

The next evening after celebrating Basil's victory at Buckingham Palace with Eve, Flappy, Shade, Luna, Dawson, Olivia, and Hiram, it was the night Eve and her family, Andrew, Olivia, Clover, and Hiram Flaversham said goodbye to the detectives. Above Basil's fireplace, was a picture of Eve and Clover with Basil and Dawson being honored by Queen Mousetoria in The Illustrated London Mouse. Newspaper articles next to it were Queen Honors Detective, Queen Praises Detective Basil, Medal to Be Given, and Time Runs Out for Ratigan (which removed Ratigan's portrait).

"To be thanked by the Queen, herself," said Dawson, feeling flattered and sighed. "How very thrilling. Eh, Basil?"

Basil smirked, relieved that he finally defeated Ratigan and set the bell he snatched from Ratigan near the papers. "All in a day's work, Doctor," Basil replied, aware that he reached his objective.

Andrew was wearing his red coat, scarf, and barrette. Clover wore a green coat and hat along with a purple scarf. Mr. Flaversham wore a blue bowler hat with a blue trench coat, and a red necktie. Olivia was back in her blue coat and scarf, while holding her tam-o-shanter hat.

"Oh, Dr. Dawson, you were wonderful," Olivia said kindly.

Dawson, feeling touched by her sweet, laughed wholeheartedly.

Olivia, Hiram, Clover, and Andrew brought Basil a special gift. "Here, Basil," Clover said, "Olivia, Hiram, and I would like you to have this."

"For what?" Basil asked, "I don't think-"

"You have to," Clover scolded playfully, holding a finger and shaking it, "Doctor's orders. No returns!"

Basil rolled his eyes, smiling as he took the gift and unwrapped it. "Why, thank you!" he exclaimed cheerfully and started to play. "This really works!"

"Do you like it?" Clover asked.

"Like it?" Basil set his violin down beside his red chair. "I love it!" He scooped her off her feet. "I could kiss you." Then he set her back down. "Wait, may we?"

Before Basil could mutter any further, Clover kissed him on the lips. "We may." The two mice kissed and Hiram was touched that she finally found true love to replace her ex-boyfriend. "You are far different from my ex-boyfriend."

"And thanks to Basil who changed the law," Eve added.

"Yay!" Flappy said.

"Eve, it's also thanks to you that you worked with Basil and the others to stop Ratigan," Shade, Eve's father told her.

"If it weren't for you, Ratigan would still be at large."

"Don't do any damage to your brand-new violin," Andrew warned.

"I won't," Basil promised.

"Be careful since it's meaningful to you," Olivia added.

"I will, darling," Basil assured her.

"Indeed," Mr. Flaversham said warmly at the scene and anxiously looked at his watch. "Oh, my! We are late to catch our train! Come along, Olivia, Clover, and Andrew!"

"Yes, father," said Olivia.

"In a minute," Clover added.

"We won't be long," said Andrew.

Olivia hugged Basil. "Goodbye, Basil," she said and sniffled, fearing she'd never see him again. "I...I'll never forget you."

Basil smiled at her and wrapped his arms around her sides. "Nor I you," he said, "Miss...Miss Flangerhanger."