Chapter 16 - Summer

"They say I changed a lot, I say a lot changed me,"

The start of my summer was traumatic to say the least. My first morning away from Hogwarts  I was met with a scare as my Mum was inches away from my face standing over me with a cup of tea.

I gasped in surprise and in a rush to sit up I got tangled in my duvet and fell face-first out of my bed.  I groaned and my face narrowed into a scowl as I clambered to stand up.

"Don't do that! You practically gave me a heart attack!" I scowled at my mother who was now laughing at me.

bitch

"Oh stop whining, Isabella, and drink your tea," She said rolling her eyes. I lay in bed sipping my tea. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 10:00 am.

When I got back from the train station last night I came home to my house practically bare. My Mum had already packed most of the house up ready for when we move house, but she had left my room because she didn't know the stuff I wanted to keep and which things I wanted to throw out

"Right, well I'll leave you to it then," My Mum said after some time of me sipping my tea. She dusted some imaginary dirt off her skirt and began to walk to the door. I debated talking to her before groaning in my head.

"Mum," I called after her. She turned back to face me. "You can stay if you like," I said gesturing to my purple spinny chair next to my desk. She smiled, slightly surprised, nodded, and sat down. There was some more silence. And some more...

"I see you still wear those necklaces and rings I gave you at Christmas," she said breaking the ice slightly.

"Yeah I don't take them off really, I've done spells on them to make sure they don't get damaged or broken and to make sure they don't fall off," I said fiddling with the Jenkins family ring.

Silence again.

Oh God,  this is so awkward... I thought looking out the window

"You know... I'm not annoyed with you." I said breaking the silence. My mum looked at me shocked but stayed silent.

 A lie, of course, but I didn't have the patience to deal with the awkward tension between us. I guess she was trying to be better, I appreciated she was at least trying. Not that it really made much of a difference.

"I get why you did what you did. Keeping me inside and away from others," I continued but my mum still said nothing.

"And I don't blame you for not telling me about magic and... Dad," I lied through my teeth pausing slightly before mentioning my father. My mum looked down at her lap. There was more silence.