Chapter 9 - The Troll

"Don't listen to me, I'm probably lying,"

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall the next morning, everyone's attention was caught at once by two long, thin packages carried by six large screech owls. Harry and I along with Ron were just as interested as everyone else to see what was in these large parcels. We were shocked when the owls soared down and dropped them right in front of us, knocking our plates to the floor. They had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped two letters on top of the parcels. Harry and I ripped open the letters first, which was lucky because it said:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCELS AT THE TABLE. It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand's, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.

-Professor McGonagall

I had difficulty hiding my glee as I handed the note to Ron to read.

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one."

"Don't worry Ronniekins, I'll let you have ago," I told Ron ruffling his hair before grabbing my broom and practically skipping out of the Great hall with Ron and Harry following closely behind. 

Wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private before Our first-class, I suggested we go back to the Common room, but we found the way upstairs barred by Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy seized one of the packages and felt it.

God this boy needs a hobby.

"That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face.

"Really?" I asked sarcastically. "We had no idea," 

Malfoy turned to me with a smirk on his face 

"You'll be in for it this time, first years aren't allowed them!" 

"It's not any old broomstick," Ron said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry and me. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

 I stepped forward threateningly, wand in hand, but before I could say anything, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys, Miss Jenkins?" he squeaked.

"Potter and Jenkins have been sent broomsticks, Professor," said Malfoy quickly. I smirked.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry and Me, "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, and what model are they?"