Chapter 35 - Follow the Spiders

"You win some, you lose some. Except for me. I always win." - Malachai Parker

Summer was creeping over the grounds around the castle, but with no Hagrid visible from the castle windows, striding the grounds with Fang at his heels, the scene didn't look right. We had tried to visit Hermione, but visitors were now barred from the hospital wing. Apparently because "They weren't taking any more chances".

With Dumbledore gone, fear spread as never before. There was barely a face to be seen in the school that didn't look worried and tense, and any laughter that rang through the corridors sounded shrill and unnatural and was quickly stifled.

Hagrid's hint about the spiders was fairly easy to understand. The trouble was, there didn't seem to be a single spider left in the castle to follow. We looked everywhere we went, but there was nothing. We were at a disadvantage by the fact we were forbidden to go out of the castle. Most of the fellow students seemed glad that they were being shepherded from class to class by teachers, but I was starting to feel suffocated. 

One person, however, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere of terror and suspicion. Draco Malfoy had begun strutting around the school as though he had just been appointed Head Boy. I didn't realize what he was so pleased about until the Potions lesson about two weeks after Dumbledore and Hagrid had left, when, sitting right behind Malfoy, I overheard him gloating to Crabbe and Goyle. 

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he said, not troubling to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in..." 

I clench my jaw.

Pftt Minnie won't last long, yeah okay.

I so desperately desired to take my fist and ram it into Malfoy's face, but I held my control and ignored him. Hermione's attack had affected me, big time. I was closed off and went to bed straight after dinner most nights if I went to dinner at all. My friends were worried about me but understood what I was going through, considering all of them were in the same boat as I was. 

I spent most of my time in my four-poster bed with my curtains drawn. My extra lessons had been canceled as we weren't allowed to participate in any extracurricular activities. I was bored and I didn't know what to do with myself, my magic was itching to get out and every time I did any magic, I had to be cautious not to set anything on fire. With all my negative emotions from Hermione's attack, my control was slipping and I couldn't do anything to let it out, it felt as though I was bursting at the seams and sooner or later I was going to slip up and break something or hurt someone. It felt like I was inches away from just fucking everything and screaming at the top of my lungs, full-on banshee style.