Ch14: Bad Kitty

I slowed my breathing as I tip-toed up to the cracked door, peaking past the hinge. While I was on my night patrol, I'd noticed movement inside the dark Agreste Inc. building, so I decided to investigate. Sure enough, a dim orange light was bleeding through the cracks of the door and coloring the floor. Someone was in Mr. Agreste's office at 11pm when the building was supposed to be closed.

My lips parted as I spotted Chat Noir digging through Mr. Agreste's file drawers. Papers and folders were spread over the desk. I noticed blue light from the computer monitors reflecting off of his leather black suit. Had he managed to log into Mr. Agreste's computer? How? And why? Could it be he was stealing company information to sell to competitors? No doubt that would be a lucrative business.

Reaching for one of the folders, he sat at Mr. Agreste's chair, and feasted his eyes on the contents. Then I heard clicking noises. His gaze bounced between the folder and the computer screen as if he was comparing information.

His look was intense and positively evil. My stomach hurt. I was such an idiot. How could I have let a criminal be my partner? What was I thinking? Worst of all, what wasn't I thinking?

Chat Noir let out an exasperated sigh as he lowered his head to his hand. His new position prevented me from seeing him clearly. Now all I could see was the side of his shoulder. I needed a better view.

Leaning forward, I lost my balance and threw my entire body weight into the door. It flung open and spat me out on the ground. I landed on my knees, staring up at a serious Chat Noir.

He logged off the computer, and peered at me. Rising from the chair, he strode towards me. He was now towering over me as if he were a king and I a mere peasant. Were we about to fight? Would he attack me while I was low? I held up my fists, prepared for him to attack me.

"It's always a pleasure seeing you, M'lady. Especially when it's unexpected," he held out his hand and offered me a mischievous grin.

I swatted it away and stood on my own. Despite being fully upright, he still towered over me at what I assumed was a height of 6'1".

I felt nothing but fury.

"How dare you!" I shouted.

"What?" he said, shrugging as if he had no idea why I would be mad.

"You are a bad kitty! A very, very, no good rotten, terrible kitty!"

"Woah, woah, that's not nice. Words hurt," he said in a mocking voice.

"You betrayed me," I said, firmly planting my hands on my hips as I shot him my best scowl.

"What makes you think that?" He asked, mirroring my posture. Of course, his height and muscular build made his position more intimidating than mine.

"I'm insulted you would even ask. Do you think I'm an idiot? You're literally standing in the middle of a crime scene."

"So quick to doubt me. Such a shame. Where's your trust?" he said, slowly circling me as if he were a vulture lingering over its next meal.

"Well, yeah I'm going to doubt you when you literally broke into this building and are stealing Mr. Agreste's things. What else is there to assume?"

"Tsk. I thought you'd had more faith in your partner."

"We're not partners anymore. Not with you engaging in illegal activities."

"So, you're firing me?" He asked, stopping in place and turning to face me with an amused looked. Why did his voice carry a tone of humor?

"That's right. And I'm taking you to the police," I said sternly.

He chuckled.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked, feeling paranoid.