Ch23: Bad Dream

It was cold.

And foggy.

I was surrounded by a cage of thick trees with mangled branches that cloaked the sky. Many of the branches were barren - resembling skeletons' hands reaching towards the heavens. Meanwhile, the remaining trees wore black, dried leaves that showered me each time an icy breeze swept through.

This was the type of place that at any moment a man with a chainsaw could pop out from behind a tree and cut me in half. I shivered both from the cold and from my fear.

Why? Why was I in a forest? (A haunted forest to be exact).

I didn't remember how I had gotten here.

Unless...of course...I probably was in a dream (yes, I had strange amounts of self-awareness even when I was sleeping). That realization made me calm down a little - all those strange animal calls and footsteps rustling in the distance were only figments of my imagination.

What a relief! Now I could enjoy the little adventure my mind was creating for me (even if it was a little on the eerie side).

I surveyed my surroundings until I noticed the outline of a figure hidden in the fog. The figure looked as if it were sitting on a chair at a table? No - why would there be a chair and table in the middle of the forest? Then again, my dreams were always weird so there was no point in questioning them.

With slow and heavy steps, I was careful not to trip on the warped roots that twisted on the dead-leaf-covered ground.

The fog lightened as I approached the figure. Time for the reveal. Was it a monster? A vampire? A werewolf? Or best yet, a shirtless Felix?

No.

It was a woman - she sat with a perfect posture at a rotting white piano.

I could only see the woman from behind, her golden blond hair flowed down her back, and her silky skin contrasted with her yellow sundress. How could she stand to wear a sundress in such a cold environment?

As I stepped closer, I noticed the air enveloping her was saturated with the scent of roses. Familiar.

She didn't seem to notice me. I debated about saying something so I wouldn't startle her. When she lowered her head towards the keys, I decided to hold off since she was clearly in some kind of trance with this piano.

Another breeze swept through, shaking the branches, clapping the skeletons' hands.

My heart rate increased.

I felt an unusual fear here. This graveyard of a forest felt empty and hostile. And this woman was creeping me out.

I wanted to wake up before things got weird.

The woman gracefully placed her fingers on the deteriorating keys and played. The piano's sound was out of tune, sending a shiver down my spine.

The music came in waves - washing over me in a somber way. The melody - it was like sweet poison - pleasing to the ears for only a moment before turning bitter. What was it telling me? Was it an unrequited declaration? A remembrance of something that had faded? A permanent goodbye?

Without warning, my eyes filled with tears. I had no idea why I was crying or why I couldn't make it stop.

This song. It stung. It was unbearable. I needed it to end.

"Please stop," I said, my voice echoed.

The music ceased.

She froze - her frame stiffening as she cocked her head. Had I offended her? Or had she just realized I was here?