Ch54: Wonderland

Why would Felix do this to me - leaving me alone with a confused guy who thought I was his girlfriend? Standing there near the edge of his floral-themed bed, surrounded by pieces of notepad paper taped all over the walls or dangling from the ceiling by strings, I couldn't help but have my defenses up. Was Luka crazy? What were all these papers - ways to murder someone?

"So, do you want...umm...," Luka cleared his throat, as he sent a frantic gaze across the square bedroom.

"No thanks," I said, taking a step back from him and eyeing ways I could potentially escape. My only two options was the window (that was still open) or the closed white-wooded door with a bronze nob.

With my hazy fever brain and uncoordinated, weakened body, I doubted my ability to successfully climb out a window without rolling off the roof and dying in the snow. The closed door was also risky because it wasn't a true way out - most likely it led to the rest of his apartment: the kitchen, living room, etc. Between the two choices, the door was the safest - I just hoped Luka didn't have a large dog ready to mull my face off.

"Marinette?" Luka questioned.

"I said no thank you!" I yelped, pulled back into the present.

"So, you don't want any water?"

"Water? That's what you asked me?" I asked.

Luka nodded - almost as if he felt nervous.

"Okay. Yes. Please."

"I'll be right back. Feel free to take over the bed," he said, striding towards the door like a man on a mission.

Now was my chance to escape! I guess I'd just have to go out the window. Yeah, that made perfect sense. I wobbled my way over, my face growing colder the closer I got. Snow flakes had fluttered and melted on the tan carpet, soaking my feet. If it was this cold inside, it would be a million times worse outside. This wasn't ideal, but necessary.

"What are you doing?" Luka shouted, tossing the bottle of water on the bed and racing towards the window. He pulled me by the back of my pink sweater. I stumbled backwards, landing in the center of his chest. Warm arms covered me and stabilized my posture.

I wiggled my body and flared my arms until he released me. He gawked at me with wide eyes - as if I were some sort of strange species at the zoo - as if he no longer recognized my behavior.  He quickly shut and locked the window.

"If you wanted to leave, you should have said something. I won't stop you," he said, opening the bottle of water on the bed and handing it to me.

I examined the bottle and swirled the liquid around inside, before taking a baby sip. If it was poisoned or drugged, at least only a little would enter my bloodstream - if I felt weird within the next few moments then Luka wasn't to be trusted - if not, I was going to chug the freakin water.

"It's not poisoned," Luka said flatly.

I flushed - feeling embarrassed that my inner thoughts were so obvious.

"I know that," I said, before taking another sip, "I was just making sure it tasted good. Some bottled water can be absolutely disgusting."

"Hmm. Being with Felix has changed you quite a bit, hasn't it?" Luka said, taking a seat on the edge of his narrow bed.

"What are you trying to say? Me liking quality bottled water has nothing to do with Felix," I quipped.

"I'm not sure what he did to you, but I find your current condition depressing," Luka said.

"First of all, this is none of your business. Second, it's not Felix's fault I'm so depressed," I said.

"So you admit it then?"