Ch41: Ruined

"Mr. Agreste!" I gasped, my hand landing my my chest in surprise.

"You're rather theatrical as always," Mr. Agreste held out his hand, "Allow me."

I hesitantly slid into his large, calloced hand as he effortlessly pulled me to my feet.

"Thanks," I quickly shoved my hands in my pockets. It was foolish of me to think, but I didn't want him to grab me and drag me off to some dudgeon. Was he mad? I technically wasn't supposed to be here.

"I see you came from Felix's place," he said, his eyes sweeping over my clothes. He wasn't judging me nor did he seem to be jumping to the same conclusions my dramatic father did. Still, I felt the need to clarify.

"Oh, umm yeah...but don't get the wrong idea. I was just helping him out because he got sick," I said, shuffling my feet in the grass. Man, I needed to work on my eye contact. Why was it so hard for me to look someone in the eye when I felt embarrassed, guilty, or shame even if I did nothing wrong? This was a sign of weakness - and Ladybug was never weak.

"Glad to hear he had someone to take care of him," Mr. Agreste said softly.

I forced myself to make eye contact.

Blue.

His eyes were a deep blue - not the same as his son. Felix had the eyes of a sky flooded with clouds, while Mr. Agreste was a mysterious ocean with an unknown depth. It donned on me that this was the first time I'd actually seen his eyes - usually they were covered by inhuman glowing orbs he called glasses.

"So, what brings you back here?" Mr. Agreste said, his gaze unwavering.

Dang, I fought the urge to blush when I realized that I'd been standing here for a solid minute comparing the Agreste men's eye color.

"I was just looking for something I lost. I believe it's here," I said, clearing my throat.

"So, you broke in?" He questioned, motioning for me to join him in a stroll down the flower lined path. Our steps were slow and steady, as if we were supposed to be enjoying the sight and scent of this garden.

"Well, umm, yes. But I'm very sorry! I just didn't think anyone would let me in."

"What you lost was so valuable that you were willing to break the law?" He stopped walking and peered down. We were standing near the edge of the garden, right by the glass wall. Our side was dry, green, and warm while the other side was a dark, cold storm. Oh, how I wish I could shatter the glass and make my escape into the winter rain. But then I'd be breaking yet another law.

"I mean. It's only valuable to me because I love the person who let me borrow it," I admitted, "and I don't want this person to lose trust in me."

Mr. Agreste smiled.

"You're very direct. I didn't realize you felt so strongly for my son," He said, "Especially after claiming you hated him last night. Love is complicated, isn't it?"

"I...I never said I loved him," I said.

"Don't patronize me, Marinette. I realize you lost my wife's necklace," he said, almost sarcastically.

I leaned against the glass wall as I gasped. Was he going to kidnap me now? Call the police? Fire me?

"I'm sorry, sir. But I promise I'll find it," I whispered.

"You better," he said. He wasn't threatening me - instead he spoke in a matter of fact voice. How? How could he be so casual about me losing his wife's necklace? Even Felix was angrier than his father.