Ch64: Only Somtimes

Marinette's POV

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

While my head had returned, my heart had not. I was just a corpse of knowledge, wondering what it felt like to have something beating in my empty chest cavity.

I had all the memories from the life I lived before: the girl I used to be. But was that girl still me? Was I different now? Did those things actually happen to me, or a different version of myself? Did Felix expect me to harbor the same feelings I did back then?

While I "knew" everything that happened to me, I didn't "feel" it. I knew I loved Felix, but why hadn't that loved returned to me? Where was my heart?

It was as if I was seeing clearly for the first time - when I loved him, I saw him through a lense fogged with my emotions. Now that there was literal space and time between me and him, I truly saw him and our relationship for what it was: me being disappointed over and over. Why would I want to inflict that on myself in this world? I hated that! I hated him!

I shivered in the cold, drawing my clear umbrella closer to my head. The snowflakes danced from the sky, powdering the ground with what reminded me of a thin icing on a vanilla cake. It was only October, yet it was snowing. I blankly stared out at the frozen canal beneath me. Felix and I once came to this spot when he asked me if I wanted to go to the gala with him. We sat on a bench overlooking this beauty. That was a lifetime ago.

I sighed

I sighed.

My mind was a much lonelier place now.

Felix and my mental bond had finally broken - it had been fading this entire time. Right before it disappeared completely, I saw something in his mind. It was the same thing I'd seen right after I died. Something that would change everything. Something that would fix every problem Paris ever had. Finally, I knew how to stop Hawk Moth, Natalie, and the Eel all at once. But I didn't think I was ready for it.

If I did it, would my feelings for Felix return? Either way, that wasn't important. Nor was this a decision about me. It was for Mom, Dad, friends, and everyone whose lives were endangered by the threat of akumas. It was my obligation as a hero.

This was sad. And dreary.

"God, I don't want to do this," I said, trying to hold back tears. If I cried, they'd freeze down my face like an ice sickle.

A grey sky and silence.

"Please let there be another way," I whispered.

More silence.

"I can't. I won't! Not unless I see him. If he walks right by me, then I'd listen. If not..."

I cautiously surveyed my surroundings - dim buildings lit with yellow lights, trees, icy walkways, and strangers carrying umbrellas and dressed in thick jackets. No sign of him. Now I was praying my prayer was unheard.