Ch57: Mere Mortals

My palms felt like ice against the Eiffel Tower's bronzed iron. I couldn't tell if the cold was coming from the metal or my body - which one was devoid of all warmth and life? Why did I feel like it was me?

My arms were lined with goose bumps and I worried the tremors in my arms were permanent. I scooted away on my bottom as the Eel directed his attention towards me. He took slow steps as if he had all the time in the world - as if he planned to savor my death and wanted to soak in every minute of my despair and fear.

There was no where left for me to go - death was in both directions: the ground or the Eel. I glanced around, trying to use my Ladybug brain - the same brain that generated amazing ideas and ways to save the day with odd objects. But how could I demand something like that when my body wasn't doing well - when my mind was beyond the point of exhaustion - when all I was wearing was a thin tank top and pants that were already drenched from snow?

The Eel grinned wide, displaying a mouth full of white, straight teeth - it was strange seeing such a large smile on Felix's face - the man rarely smiled and if he did, it was nothing more than a tiny smirk. Had I even seen Felix's teeth before?

He reached down and grabbed me by the arm, pulling me to my feet. I yelped.

"Alright. Now the fun part," he chuckled, somehow flipping me upside again and dangling me by the ankles. Why did the Eel like holding me like this - as if I was the dead carcass of a hunted animal - as if he was disgusted to touched me and tried to minimize his contact?

I didn't want to give up on life and I felt awful that I had failed to come up with an idea to save myself. I realized that this was about the third time I thought I was going to die today. All the other times, I managed to live. Would this time be like the rest? Would I make it out miraculously?

"It seems almost merciful to kill you," He said, tilting his head and examining my carcass, "For all the trouble you caused me, letting you die is too easy."

"Let me live, then," I said, trying to focus on his kneecaps - as my body swayed, the dizziness was returning. Maybe if I kept my eyes on one point, I'd feel better.

"And face my wrath?" He scoffed, "You know not what you're asking. If you did, you'd be begging to die."

"I'll be the judge of that," I challenged. If I could just get him to not kill me, then that should buy me enough time to figure something out.

"Are you challenging me?" He said, his eyes growing wide with intrigue.

"Only a little," I said, before gagging. I believed my stomach was trying to vomit, but there was nothing in there, so all that came out was a choked gag.

"It's unwise to test a god," he muttered.

"Exactly. Which is why you should leave Felix's body," I said.

The Eel's face grew paler - clearly, I'd angered him.

"I will not be disrespected. Comparing me to a mere mortal is unwise of you. Farewell," he said, before tossing me off the Eiffel Tower.

The air resistance welcomed me - rushing over my skin and pressing so hard into my face that I had to close my eyes to keep them from instantly drying up. I was used to falling - except my Ladybug outfit did somehow keep the wind from hurting my eyes. Plus, I always knew that my falls would never result in an injury since I was invincible. Unlike now.

I wondered how close I was to the ground. The Eiffel Tower stood little over 1,000 feet in the air. How long would it take a woman of my height and weight to hit the ground? This felt like a cruel math problem. Since I was always bad at math, I guess I'd never know until it was too late.