Ch63: Grey

Adrien's POV

———————————————————————-

Marinette wasn't wearing a jacket. She was shivering - her bluebell eyes were wide as two marbles, her cheeks were splotched with red, and her teeth were chattering. I hated seeing her cold - or in any form of discomfort. It was wrong of me to keep her out here.

Even though she probably didn't realize she was trembling, I was painfully aware and it was undoubtedly going to bother me for the duration of this conversation.

I slipped off my jacket and draped it over her shoulders. Her body stilled with the sudden warmth enclosing her. Now I could focus again.  She gave a slight nod as if to thank me. There was no need for thanks - this was my obligation.

"So...seriously...who are you? Where do I know you from?" She asked, her eye twitching in the slightest.

"Doesn't matter," I said, rubbing my hands along her shoulders.

"But ..." she began.

I told myself I'd stop touching her lips, but it was easier said than done. I think I had an addiction - something I'd promised myself to break - just not today, or tomorrow.

I'd lived an entire year without her - I wanted to meet her in the same way I did in the previous world, hoping that it'd spark some type of memory. Overall, my efforts had failed and perhaps my waiting had gone to waste. The moment I reset the time-stream, I should have run to her - even if she didn't know who I was. Instead, I stayed away, only watching her from a distance.

She swatted my fingers away from her mouth, looking adorably frustrated. Maybe it was better she didn't remember who I was and all those horrible ways I used to degrade and embarrass her. I often wondered why she even liked me. What did she see in me and what kept her coming back? Even though I had access to her mind - I still was unable to reach a solid conclusion.

Felix was someone she should never remember. He was someone I wasn't proud of. From now on, I wasn't going to hide behind one of my middle names. I'd embrace the fact that I was Adrien and I was named after my mother's dead lover.

"Stop doing that," she said, attempting to rub my touch off her lips. Right oncue, blush splattered her cheeks.

I smirked - she hadn't changed much and I was pleased to see I could still paint her cheeks by a single stroke of my finger. Poor thing. She was so frustrated and confused.

"Go back inside," I said.

"No! Not until I get answers!"

Always so stubborn.

"You'll just have to learn to live with disappointment," I scoffed, guiding her back into her house.

"No! I feel like I know you! Like we've met! But I don't know!" She squirmed.

"Goodnight, Marinette," I said, attempting to smile, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Felix!" She yelped.

"Wrong person," I said, before striding down the alley.

The walk home was long, but I needed the time to think.

"This is funny to you, isn't it?" I said.

I've killed her once, I'll do it again. The Eel hissed.

"You are a mere parasite to me. Never again will you control my body," I said.

One entire year - I had to live with the voice of the Eel. I'd managed to control him, but he was very annoying. He was the one who had killed Marinette, but he was also the one who helped me save her - or at least I was able to high-jack his power. I'd meant to reset the world to a few days before I was possessed, but instead, I'd set the world back an entire year. A year before Marinette would intern at Agreste Inc.