Ch58: Crossfire

The winter sky was cloaked in a sea of dark clouds - I'd thought the sun would shine based on the morning. But today would prove to be another gloomy and potentially tragic day.

I didn't know if I had the strength to face what was coming. I didn't know if I was making the right decision by coming along with the Eel. Long story short: I didn't know anything.

I held my breath and dug my finger nails into the van's deteriorating seat multiple times as the Eel almost got us killed trying to drive. He swerved, hit curbs, nearly hit pedestrians and oncoming traffic.

"I thought you said you wanted to keep your body alive!" I shouted as he barely missed a truck.

"That's what the seatbelts are for," He said matter-of-factly, "Besides, I'm invincible."

For being a 'god' he was sure naïve about the daily life of the 21st century person. Yet he had the audacity to say it. As if I didn't know what a seatbelt was for!

"Well, I'm not. If a truck like that hit us, I'd die immediately. So be more careful!" I snapped.

"Then these are pointless," he said, unstrapping my seatbelt and straightening his back, "Now you are free."

"You're missing the point," I sighed in frustration, "I think you may have forgotten how fragile the human body is. I don't want your want your ignorance hurting Felix or me. Got it?"

"I'm not ignorant," The Eel stiffened, his chin rising, "Maybe a little proud, but certainly not ignorant. And don't you forget your death is in my hands. The more you annoy me, the worse I'll make it," he said, as if threatening me gave him a sense of power.

"Thanks for the reminder," I huffed, slouching over and resting my chin on my wrist as I stared out the iced window - it only made the world look colder and sadder.

Why did Winter have be so long? Yeah, it was fun maybe for December, but once Christmas and New Years past, the snow felt more like a burden and I found myself ready for Spring. Instead, the Winter was cruel and always seemed to linger into March and April. I hoped that wasn't the case this year.

As I mindlessly stared at pedestrians buzzing across the street walk and streaming down the crowded side walks lined by stores, I saw someone. Not just anyone.

Dad!

The sight was heart breaking. In his hands, he carried takeout Chinese food from our favorite restaurant. That must mean Mom was too distressed to cook from my disappearance. Dad looked depressed - everything from the way he carried his shoulders to the deep bags under his eyes and frown lines indicated his sadness. I wondered what they thought happened to me - did they think I was kidnapped or did they think I was dead? Which one was worse in their mind?

I had the wild urge to roll down my window and scream at my dad. To tell him I was okay. To tell him I loved him. Just in case I didn't make it out at the end of all of this.

"Don't," The Eel said, placing a cold hand on my wrist.

"Why not?" I yelped, shoving off his grip.

"Unless you want your family to end up like that blue haired fellow, don't talk to him," He warned.

"He looks so depressed! I want him to know I'm alive at least," I cried.

"Listen. Believe it or not, Felix has a bond with your father. Should he die, I'm not sure what would happen to this body's mental state," he said.

The Eel was right. The light turned green and our van charged forward. I guess my dad would just have to go on another day without me - believing something terrible had happened. I couldn't stand that I was breaking my parents hearts, but this was for their own safety.