Ch1: The Elevator

"Hold the door!" I shouted as I wobbled across the polished floor on my high heels. Faster. I must go faster, despite my aching side and weary lungs. The weight of employee and customer eyes rested on me as if my behavior was strange. Believe me, I knew I looked like an idiot and that their stares were justified.

A man stood in the elevator, staring down at his watch as if he were completely unaware of my existence. Did he hear me? I was already late and couldn't afford to lose another minute.

My stomach twisted as the elevator doors started to close.

"The door!" I yelped, my voice echoing in the high ceilings of the Agreste Inc. lobby.

Finally, the man glanced up at me in frustration. Even though he had me, he made no effort to keep it open. My view of him was shrinking and soon the doors would close. I'd have to wait for the next elevator. The receptionist had told me that in the mornings it usually took about ten minutes to catch another one.

Just as the doors were about to ceil shut, I flung my leg in the small space. The doors closed, felt the pressure of my leg, and immediately opened. Thankfully, it didn't hurt. But I lost my balance, and tumbled into the elevator wall.

My legs ended up in a splits position in order to stabilize myself. I managed to drop nearly all my notes and papers I had in a file. They fluttered from my grip and were covering the ground. Worst of all, I believed my skirt had ripped all the way up to the back of my knee after my gymnastics move.

I slumped over, scooped up my papers, and recklessly stuffed them back in my folder. Standing up straight, I smoothed out the back of my hair and took a deep breath. What a wonderful way to start the first day of my internship.

Nervously, I peeked over at the man to see how he was reacting to my clumsiness. To my surprise, he wasn't even looking at me. He was on his phone.

Now that I had a chance to stare at him, he actually looked less like a man, and more like a teenage boy around my age. He wore a black suit and a gray tie. His blonde hair was slicked back, without a single loose piece. Was he an intern too?

"You good now?" He said, with hints of irritation, his attention focused on his screen.

"Oh. Umm. Yes. Sorry about that."

He sighed, "Which floor?"

He looked up from his phone and met my gaze. I suddenly lost my train of thought. His eyes. They were. Uncommonly blue. Too blue in my opinion. In fact, it was almost unearthly and creepy. Dark circles traced the outline of his eyes as if he hadn't slept in weeks. His pale skin only seemed to highlight the blueness.

"Well?" The frustration only grew, as he raised his brows.

"Oh right. Floor. I'm on floor 7. Please."

He pressed the button with his knuckle.

I felt my stomach sink as the elevator rose. Suddenly, I felt awkwardness creep in. It was quiet, with only piano music playing from a speaker above. Should I attempt to start a conversation? Or would it be pointless since we would be on floor 7 soon? I just needed to be brave enough to endure this silence.

I was too weak though.

"So are you an intern too?" I asked.

He continued typing something on his phone, "No."

"Oh. I just...you look...nevermind."

"You've got nerve," he shoved his phone in his front pocket and glanced at his watch again.

I didn't know what he meant.

He let out another quick sigh, "You don't know who I am, do you?"

I hesitated, feeling as if I was the biggest idiot ever. No. I didn't know who this guy was. Should I? He seemed vaguely familiar, but not quite.