Ch53: No Matter What

A/N: Just a heads up, this chapter is a little shorter due to being out of town (2,160 words). Fear not, I always write with my heart and soul no matter the length and I promise longer chapters are to come.

————————————————————-

"Emilie is finally dead," Natalie's voice chuckled, echoing off the atrium ceiling and walls - all around, I was drowning in that dreadful laugh.

When the roots released me, I collapsed - landing on my knees. I felt numb. Unsure of if anything I just witnessed was real. Did my Miraculous - the one I had for five years - just get destroyed? What did that mean? And what would happen without my ability to redeem and undo any circumstance? It felt like I was watching everything happen through the screen of a TV - it all felt unreal and irrelevant to me.

Before any more roots could pop up and strangle me, Felix flung me over his shoulder and began running. My body flopped against him with his every step - it was rather disorienting - especially since I was already feeling dizzy from my fever.

The world was bouncing up and down - the leaves and outline of warped trees and plants appeared like monsters rushing after us. I wasn't sure if it was just my eyes or if it was real. Either way, there was a shapeless black mass on our tale - attempting to consume us like a tidal wave. Would we be swallowed? Would Natalie actually like us?

"Felix!" I hollered, "It's coming!"

"I know," he said through heavy breath.

"Can't you go faster?"

"I could if I wasn't carrying you," he huffed.

"Don't make it sound like I'm so heavy! Maybe you're just weak!" I exclaimed.

"Quiet you," he said. Clearly I had injured his pride. But I didn't care. That brat deserved it.

"Where are we even going?" I hollered through a shaky voice. Could Felix run any less bumpy? My Lordy, I was going to vomit.

No reply. Felix continued to run, somehow burning off any root or weed that attempted to slow us down, until we reached the edge of the atrium. It was a concrete wall that stretched upward before arching into the glass dome. There was no way out unless we flew up to the roof and attempted to shatter the glass. But I doubted there was anything on the other side besides dirt. We were most likely thirty feet underground or something crazy like that.

Felix didn't seem frazzled that there was no way out or that the black void was looming towards us. He merely reached out his and touched the wall. Suddenly, the wall began to melt around where Felix had laid his hand until there was a large, human sized hole.

Before I could comprehend what just happened, Felix had drug us both into the hole. It turned out to be some type of tunnel. No it was actually a cave full of dripping stalactites and rising stalagmites. They reminded me much of ice sickles except instead of ice, these were made up of years worth of limestone.