Ch31: Unworthy

Burning.

My lips were burning as I pressed into his. Could he feel the trembling in my hand as I stroked his back? Did he notice my bottom lip was quivering?

This was so wrong. I shouldn't be doing this. I knew it. But it was impossible for me to resist. After all, the night had been so perfect as the city and starlight sprinkled across his dark office like glittering crystals. Never before had his office looked so romantic; it was as if nature itself wanted me to take action and give in. I was weak, and the full moon was my undoing. Cruel nature.

I deepened the kiss and dug my fingers into the back of his suit jacket as if to show him I had no intention of letting go.

Respond. Kiss me back. Love me back. For once in my life.

Instead, he tipped his head down, breaking the string of saliva trailing between our lips. No. No. It was starting. He would shut me down and I would suffocate if I held it in any longer. I couldn't go another twenty years without saying something. I couldn't be a coward this time.

"I love you, Gabriel," I whispered, my throat feeling swollen by those haunting words.

I tried focusing my blurry gaze, but it was no use. My body felt as if it was shutting down - I was losing my vision, hearing, and feeling. After years of suppression, my heart couldn't handle the release of tension.

I waited. Praying he would swoop me into his strong arms and ask for my hand in marriage. After all, we'd known each other for twenty years. Guiding me away by my shoulders, he met my gaze with a blank expression. He was neither smiling nor frowning. His eyes were replaced with two soulless glowing orbs reflecting moonlight. I wanted to remove his glasses. To see his eyes. To see his true response.

"Are you drunk?" Mr. Agreste asked, his hands tightening on my shoulders.

The glass was shattering - my glass mask. There was nothing more painful to reveal your truest feelings only to be shot down by one accusing question.

"I don't drink, sir. And I mean it. I really do. I've felt ..."

"Stop," he averted his gaze as if the sight of me disgusted him.

"If you'd just let me explain," I said, reaching for his arm. He dodged my grasp and moved to his desk.

"I'm very disappointed in you. There's nothing more I want to hear," he grumbled, as he logged into his computer. Blue light showered across his face, highlighting his every wrinkle. Time had not been kind to him.

"Why?" I said, lips quivering and ears buzzing.

"I'm a life lived. There's nothing for me to give. What's left of my love belongs to Emilie."

"Sir, it's been two years. Maybe it's time..." I couldn't finish.

He pounded his fist against his wood desk in a loud 'clank.' I flinched.

"And 'let her go'? Is that what you were going to say?"

I lowered my head and swallowed hard.

"There's a time to grieve, and a time to live again. Love again. Don't you think it's time..."

"The world has forgotten her. You are forgetting her. But she is my wife. She will always be my wife and I will not forget her," he said sternly.

My knees weakened.

"As you forget everyone else," I muttered.

              ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧