Part II| Can't Give You Up, Won't Give You Up

"Love me, don't let goodbyes come too easy." —Jessie Reyez.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Apple Juice' by Jessie Reyez.

••

Harmony

I stare at my mother with wide, bewildered eyes, trying to decipher if what she said was really what I heard.

"I know it's too soon, but he's the medicine that I need right now, Harmony. Mr. Blake is a great man, and I don't know, he makes me feel so alive..."

This is not happening.

"Mom..." I swallow hard, trying to think of a way to change her mind about the man, whose son I am in love with. "Mom, you really cannot date Mr. Blake."

Okay, that came out a bit harsh.

"What?" She wipes her eyes.

I exhale heavily. "You can't be with him, Mom..."

"Sweetheart, I know it seems as though I am betraying your father, but I cannot control my feelings. He's a great man, and he would be a great father figure to you and Eli and—"

"Mom," I interject. "You cannot date him...because..." I sigh again while she watches me closely. "Because I am in love—"

"I know it is hard for you to imagine me being with anyone else outside of your father. I know that, but Mr. Blake? He's a good man; he's trustworthy and funny, and he makes me laugh so much. I haven't been genuinely happy in a while. He erases all the frustration and heartache from my past; I wish you'd understand."

I should have seen this coming. I should have expected this, seeing how she trusted him to have let me slept the night at his house.

It hasn't been that long since they met; how could she have fallen for him this fast? But who am I to judge? It took me approximately one minute to have fallen into those eyes of Blaze on that orientation night.

I slump my shoulders. This is hard; so hard. I was not expecting this. But Blaze told me. He told me that something was sparking between them. Why didn't I listen? But even if I had, that would not have stopped her from falling for him.

"I just wish you'd approve, baby. I am so sorry that I have feelings for someone other than your father. I am really sorry, Harmony."

I look away, closing my eyes and attempting to gather my scattered thoughts. This is just too much, even for the notorious Harmony Skye who had her body pictured on a cellphone. This? This is the real deal; this is the real dilemma that I never saw coming.

"Harmony, say something."

I frown. "I am thinking, Mom." I meet her teary eyes, and I feel my heart shatter at the sorrowful look on her face. I haven't seen my mom this vulnerable since that night we were at the hospital.

I blow my cheeks out. "Have you told him?"

"Not yet...I want to. He invited us over for dinner this weekend, so I was planning on telling him then. I can tell he feels the same, but we are both so scared. We have been through so much..."

I hold my forehead, trying to keep it together.

"He lost his wife, and I lost your father; it has been so rough for us. Sweetheart, just please be happy for me. I haven't been this contended in a while. Mr. Blake makes me happy."

I don't know what to say. I want to tell her that I am already in love with Blaze, but that would only splinter her fragile heart. I see the bliss in her eyes when she talks about the man; I see how happy he makes her.