Chapter 1- The Half Blush

This should be a crime

This should be a crime. As in against the law.

It should be illegal for me to have to start again at another high school as the new girl.

Okay fine, I'm being dramatic. I wasn't the new girl. In fact, I would know a few of my classmates here already, considering they were going to be new students with me. So, there would be lots of new girls... and new boys.

Confused? Let me explain how messy our school district is.

Wilkinson High was the school I was coming from. Our school was small and cheaply made, with rusty lockers and water stains visible from the ceiling. There was a hill that formed in the wood of our gym floor from weather leaks. The school itself should have been a safety hazard.

There was a massive storm at the end of the winter break that finally knocked Wilkinson High off its last hinges.

Our city decided that since it was such a small and worn-down school anyway, they wouldn't waste the resources building it back up again. So, every student at Wilkinson High was spread out amongst the district depending on where they live. The next closest school to me was Routledge High.

I knew where Routledge High was. It was a middle-class school, better than where I'm coming from, but not the best in our city. That wasn't was I worried about though. I was worried about the students at Routledge High.

They were notorious for having the most competitive golf team. Those high swinging putts were no joke. I get so anxious for those players just thinking about how the wind frequency can influence the flow of the-

Nah I'm just kidding. They did have a really good soccer team though. I know this because my best friend Cyrus used to play them when he was on our schools' team. From what I remember though, they weren't nice people.

I still remember hearing the crack of his nose when one of the boys blew him a cheap shot with the rear of his elbow. The kid knew exactly what he was doing judging by the smirk on his face. Cyrus tackled him to the ground, blood dripping down his nose and everything.

It was the messiest match I had ever seen. Trust me, I had front row seats. Which made it easier for me to run onto the field and throw myself on some dudes back for kicking Cyrus to the floor.

He never let me hear the end of it. That was reckless of you, you could have been hurt, blah blah blah. Speaking of which...

I paused at the open doors of the new school and looked around the crowd of students in the morning rush. Kids were getting off busses, climbing out of cars, setting locks on their bikes. There were individuals walking alone, crowds of students huddled together in a group, and some couples holding hands here and there. So many faces and not one of them belonged to Cyrus. 

>Where are you? I thought we were going to meet at the front entrance.

The moment I hit send, my phone was knocked out of my hands as someone shoved into my shoulder.