Chapter 4- Picture Perfect

Now that Cyrus was officially on the team, I was constantly staying after school for practice

Now that Cyrus was officially on the team, I was constantly staying after school for practice. I thought maybe I should start driving myself to school, but I used the free time to get my homework done instead.

Because I didn't have a big workload today, I finished quicker than I expected. I still had about twenty minutes to kill before he was let out.

I would have gone to the field to watch Cyrus practice, but I was hesitant to see Declan again.

The plan was still to stay out of trouble, and Declan seemed like the epitome of just that. Something about his energy told me that if I had the urge to burn the school down, he would bring the matches.

That's why I needed my boy Cyrus to stay close to me. He usually kept me out of any real trouble. I'm not saying I would ever burn down a school, that was just an example, but hypothetically speaking he would be there to prevent that from ever happening.

Instead of going to the field, I took out my phone camera and starting shooting things with the lens. It was just random things I thought would make a good picture with decent lighting and a good angle.

I had my sound on high to hear the shutter it made when I took a picture. It made me feel like a professional with an actual camera and nobody could tell me shit.

I heard a gasp, "You take pictures?"

Ah yes, a fan already.

I turned around to see Natalie standing there with a stack of papers in her arms. "I've been looking for a photographer for the school paper. Jasmine does it now but she's moving soon. Are you any good?"

"I'd like to think so," I said with a little shrug. I scrolled to my camera roll and opened my file labeled side hustle shit.

I passed my phone over and Natalie took a minute to observe the album. I felt awkward just standing there and waiting for her. She was too quiet for a while there.

"We meet after school every Wednesday. Do you want to follow me now? You can check it out and see what you think. We could really use this."

My smile came naturally as she led the way down the hall. It was one thing to pretend I was good at photography and a whole other thing to hear it from someone else.

"So how have you been settling?" She asked me from over her shoulder.

"It's been better than I expected," minus the Declan run-ins, it was a truthful answer. Not that it was all bad, but that was kind of my point. I shouldn't be so accepting of someone who was clear trouble.

"That's good. At least everything else is still the same, right? You still have the same friends and the same home?"

"Yeah, you're right. I actually like this school a whole better than where I came from. You've heard of Wilkinson, haven't you?"