Chapter 26- Fairs & Fried Oreos

"What the hell is a fried Oreo?" Declan asked me when we got in line to grab us some snacks

"Well you see, they take a few Oreos... and then they fry them... thus producing a fried Oreo."

"Okay, smart ass. I'll just see for myself then." I laughed at his grumble and my attention was pulled to Parker who tugged at my hand.

"Rowena, can we share a pretzel?" Little Parker who still couldn't pronounce his R's asked me. The way he said my name sounded a lot like woah-when-uh and he over annunciated the N. My heart nearly melted at the cuteness.

"Sure, little man. Do you want some cheese with it too?"

"Hey," Declan said frowning at his little brother from my other side. "you're cute and all you little stinker but stop trying to steal my girl." 

"Stealing is bad, I don't steal," Parker says innocently with a frown while I bite back a smile from Declan's words.

He moves around me and grabs Parker, easily tossing him over his shoulder as Parker giggles. He looks at me as he hangs upside over Declan's shoulder. "Hey, you're even pretty when your upside down," Parker says.

"Oh yeah?" Declan said before attacking him with tickles, sending Parker into a fit of laughter and shrieks.

"When can we ditch the cootie fest, Rowena?" Evelyn asks me next. "I need some girl time, don't you?"

"How about we do the bumper cars next? You can ride with me and Parker can ride with Declan. It'll be boys against girls, what do you think of that?"

Her eyes lit up in excitement, her expression answering my question just fine on its own.

Declan pays for all of our snacks against my protests and we settle down on a curb to have some stability while we eat. He hands me the paper container with four round funnel cake-looking treats with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

"Yes," I exclaim before stabbing one with a fork and taking a bite. The outside was crispy and my teeth then sunk into the soft center where the Oreo hid. This was what heaven tasted like, I'm sure of it.

"I see that wiggle of excitement you got going there. Let me try now," Declan says. I didn't even realize I was doing a happy dance until he pointed it out.

I stopped moving as I became aware of my actions. "Um. You know what, I decided that they aren't that great," I said in a rush.

"Oh, you think so?" He asked, his tone so obviously unconvinced.

"Yeah, it's just not the best batch. I would hate for this to be your first try. Maybe next time though." I tried my best to sneak another bite. 

"Liar, let me have one."

"No."

He raised his eyebrows in a challenge. This was working exactly how I wanted it to. Get him curious enough and maybe it'll influence his subconscious into liking fried Oreos by default.