Chapter 51- The Noise

Deep breath humans ... this one is on the intense side.

The sound of a soccer ball slamming into the net snapped me out of my thoughts

The sound of a soccer ball slamming into the net snapped me out of my thoughts. It had been an excruciatingly long day... and it still wasn't over.

I didn't even remember if Cyrus was supposed to take me home or if Declan said he would. Either way, I was here at their practice after school waiting on one of them.

"Monty, I want you to set up the line and run that again!" Coach shouted as he neared closer to me.

"Are you okay, Rowena?" He asked when he finally reached me.

"Yes, I'm fine Coach. Thanks for checking up." I add a smile.

He stayed with me for a few minutes, coaching the boys from the bleachers and distracting me with small conversation. I appreciated it.

I think Coach realized he was yelling too much. He reached for his whistle around his neck but came back with nothing. He pats his chest and dug in his pockets looking for it. "Damn, I think I left my whistle in my office."

"I can go get it for you Coach," I say and I'm already getting up from the bleachers to go find it.

"It's right on my desk, on top of the red binder!" He calls after me. I stick a thumbs up in the air.

Coach Clarke's office was in the boy's locker room, but obviously, it wasn't an issue since every boy was out on the field. It was quiet, the only sound being the door slamming shut behind me.

It was like a maze in here. I had to walk down a hallway, past the open wall with the lockers, past the showers and toilet stalls, and finally made it to his office.

I walked to the back where Coach's door was still open. I found the whistle on the red binder almost immediately. When I had it in my hands, I heard the door slam again. Someone had just walked in.

It could have been Declan or Cyrus, coming to check up or to help me find the whistle. But it also could have been one of the other players just coming back to grab a water bottle or something.

Whoever it was, I didn't need to be in here anymore anyway. I took the whistle and made my back towards the locker room door.

I walked back past the showers when I realized it was still quiet. If someone really had come in, I would have thought I could hear them by now, doing whatever it was they came in to do. I didn't hear anything.

I put a little more pep in my step, suddenly spooked and eager to get out of here. I made it through the hallway past the lockers when I blinked and someone had appeared right in front of me, blocking my path to the door.

I halted before I ran into their chest. When I looked up, Jeremey was standing there. His blonde hair was messy and his green eyes were narrowed as he stared down silently at me.