Chapter 42- Ice Bath

It was another soccer win that Friday night

It was another soccer win that Friday night. The final score was 4-3. Declan scored two goals, Duncan scored one, and Cyrus scored the winning shot.

This meant we only had one more game to win before the final game. Valley view high, aka the rich kid school where Austin and his goons attended, also had one more game to win if they wanted to play us in the finals.

I was absolutely anticipating the exciting buzz in the school air Monday about the rivalry. It was all fun in the name of school spirit.

I worked all day Saturday. We were short on servers and Risa said she really needed me. She's never said it out loud of course, but I knew I was her favorite. She pays me extra on the nights she needs me to close. Considering her wife is about to give birth any day now, tonight might be one of those nights.

Technically I've had enough money for my camera a long time ago, but I truly just enjoyed my job. My regulars tipped me good and it felt nice to make money for myself.

I needed a ride to work from Cyrus today since my car was an absolute wreck again. Poor baby was getting too old, so I guess I did have a reason to keep this job after all. I might have to purchase a new car soon.

There was a small accident in the kitchen in the middle of the day. My entire work outfit was soiled with barbeque sauce and I wanted to burst into tears from exhaustion.

Luckily, my coworker Vera was always ready for the unexpected. We were practically the same build and her outfit fit me like a glove.

It was a regular thing of the day to get funny looks from customers when I told them my name was Rowena. They always glanced at the name tag sowed into my breast pocket with a frown, but usually ignored it anyway.

So that's how the majority of my day played out. An hour until closing and the only servers left were me and Johnny.

I was working a table while Johnny worked his last one for the night. I finished taking their order with a smile and turned to walk back to the kitchen.

And that's when I saw the table Johnny was taking orders for. Green eyes, short cut brown hair, and a scar that ran down the right side of his face.

It was like my body was slammed into an ice bath, sending a jolt of freezing cold shock through me and pounding my heart against my chest.

Because there was Giovanni Bruno, aka the criminal my dad was on the hunt for, sitting casually in a booth at the restaurant I worked.

I looked away immediately, not wanting him to see that I was just staring. I walked back past the table I was waiting for and a few tables down. I slid into a booth, pretending to fix my shoes as I wracked my brain for something to do.

What the fuck should I do? Call my dad probably. But then what? Dad brings him for questioning, Giovanni lies his ass off, and then he skips town to avoid the legal heat.