Chapter 25- Girl Time

"She said that?" Natalie asked practically horrified

"Yes," I laughed. "It was ridiculous. I felt like I was going back and forth with a twelve-year-old."

Natalie kind of smiled along to my laughter before she made a subtle frown with her brows. "I kinda feel bad for her though. "

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just wonder what she's been through to make her so competitive and insecure like that."

"I suppose," I said. "But then again it really isn't that hard to be a decent human being. If I can do it, anyone can. There are healthier ways to be competitive anyway."

Natalie hummed in agreement as she fiddled with the sleeve of her shirt. Her mind seemed to be on something else at the moment as she bit her lip in thought.

"You okay?" I asked her.

She looked up at me, blinking away the thoughts that momentarily held her attention. "Yeah, I'm fine. How are the pictures looking this week?"

If she didn't want to talk about it, I wasn't going to force it out of her. So, we moved on and instead worked on next week's news release like we were here to do.

"Man, I'm so hungry," Lillian complained from the back of the room. "How much longer do we have left until we're out of here?"

"You can go as soon as the theatre section is filled out," Natalie answered.

Her response was a huff. "Damn it, I'm only halfway through. But whatever you say boss," She respectfully complained.

Tucker pulled his backpack from the floor and dug into his bag, looking for something. He eventually pulled out a granola bar from one of his side pockets and held it out to Lillian. "Here ya go," He said quietly before handing it off.

"Oh, thanks," Her eyes lit up a bit before she unwrapped it. He watched her silently from the side before shaking his head as if pushing a thought away. Then he got back to his work with Michelle.

"Hey Natalie, do you think I could cover the sports section for the next paper?" Lillian asked between chews.

We all know why she wanted to cover the sports section. At least I did, I think Natalie was always involved in her work to realize how obsessed with Cyrus Lillian truly was.

"Mmm, I guess so. But only for one week, okay?"

Lillian spent too much time watching what Cyrus was doing on the field instead of taking notes and observations on what to write for the paper. Natalie would have to go back and edit some spots in the writing that Lillian left a hole in, something she didn't need to do when Lillian stuck to her usual subjects. It made sense that Natalie was only to let her do it this once.

It would have made even more sense for Natalie to save herself some stress and just told her no. Unfortunately for her though, she was a bit of a people pleaser and didn't want to upset Lillian.