twenty eight

AUGUST 22, 1991. NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK.

IT IS SATURDAY and Evie's first day off of the internship. With only a couple of weeks left Evie is already feeling a sense of nostalgia for the time she's spent here. She has become good friends with most people interning, learned what feels like a lifetime's worth of information about journalism all while getting the sense of working for her dream job. The goal at the end of the internship is to receive an invitation back to the offices at a later point in the year. The lucky few who demonstrate initiative, good work ethic, and talent will be asked back.

On their first day off, Henry and Evie decide to act out the role of tourists and do some New York sightseeing. Evie has formed a strong friendship with Henry in the little time they've known each other. He manages to remind her of little pieces of all of the important people in her life. He has a sense of humor like Ruby, he's social and outgoing like Ollie, he can be sarcastically blunt like Mia, he is artistic and sensitive like Kurt all while being thoughtful and caring like Dave. Evie often has pondered on the idea of soulmates and has come to the conclusion that we all have multiple, some are loving and some are purely platonic. She feels as though she's known Henry her whole life and can only believe that their souls are connected in some way.

Before Evie begins her day with Henry she gets a call from Dave. It's been a few days since they've last talked. Evie finds herself getting better with the distance every time, or maybe she's just finding better distractions. Being in New York has taken a lot of her thinking time away from missing Dave and towards the internship.

"Hello," Evie answers the phone.

"Morning Eves," Dave's voice breaks through the line.

"Todays the big day huh?" Evie asks. The boys are playing the Reading festival today and she knows Dave's had some nerves about it.

"It is indeed," he sighs.

"How are you guys feeling?" She asks.

"I'm pretty nervous. Kurt and Krist seem alright. The crowds have been going nuts for our new stuff so we're looking forward to a good show," Dave explains.

"You have nothing to be nervous about, I've never seen you mess up even a little bit. And you said it yourself that people are loving you guys. Just go out there and enjoy yourself," Evie advises.

"I dunno, I'm just nervous. I wish you were here," he says.

"Just take some deeps breaths," Evie tells him.

"Yeah, alright."

"I wish I was there with you too. Only a couple of weeks now," She tells him.

"Could September 8th come any slower?" He laughs for a moment.

"I know right."

"How's New York?" He asks.

"It's great. I wish you were to see it. New York is beautiful in the summer," she tells him.

"Next summer we'll go," he says.

"I'm going to hold you to that."

"I don't break my promises."

"Alright," Evie smiles.

"As much as I'd like to stay and talk with you I do have to leave in a couple of minutes," Evie says.

"Oh, what are you up to?" Dave asks.

"One of my friends and at the internship and I are going to explore the city. Be proper tourists for the day," Evie explains.