nineteen

APRIL 17, 1991. SEATTLE, WASHINGTON.

THE WARM MORNING light shines in on Evie and Dave, waking Evie first who slowly stirs in Dave's arms. Her movement soon wakes Dave too.

"Morning," he grumbles quietly.

"Good morning," she mutters back, still half asleep.

Ready to rest with Dave for at least another ten minutes, Evie is quickly stripped of this when the phone rings from the living room. Dave moves to get out of bed and Evie pleads with him to stay a little while longer, that whoever is on the phone can wait.

"I better get it Eves, it could be something about the gig tonight," Dave says, reminding Evie of the boys show tonight at OK Hotel in Seattle.

"You're right, go," Evie agrees, now pushing Dave a little to go pick it up.

"Hi... Yeah she's still here, I'll go grab her," Evie hears Dave say and so she stands, making her way towards the living room, meeting Dave halfway.

"It's your dad, said he has some news," Dave tells her and she furrows her brows, completely unsure why he would be calling in the morning with news.

She grabs the phone hesitantly and immediately her fingers move to play with the chord out of nervous habit.

"Hey dad, what's up?" Evie asks calmly.

"Evie! Package from Rolling Stone at the house with your name on it!" John exclaims, sounding more excited than Evie had ever heard him be at any point in her life.

"Shit! Really!" Evie says, matching John's excited tone.

"Yes! Are you coming home today?" John asks. Evie had spent the last couple of days out in Seattle staying with Dave and she planned to stay all of today as well seeing as the boys show was tonight. But now she was definitely heading home to see what this package held for her.

"I am now!" She quickly glances over to the clock which reads 8:46am.

"I'll be home by midday," she informs John surely.

"Okay. See you soon Eves," John says.

"Bye."

"See ya kiddo."

Evie looks to Dave who stands near, waiting impatiently to hear to news which is bringing so much excitement.

"I got a package from Rolling Stone!" Evie just about squeals as she jumps up to grab Dave by his shoulders just to stabilise herself.

"Evie! What the fuck that's amazing!" Dave matches both John and Evie's level of excitement immediately, knowing how much this means to her.

"Hopefully I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing," Evie quickly loses her energy when the negative thoughts begin to creep their way into her mind.

"Don't be silly, if they're sending you a package it's obviously got to be full of information. If it was a rejection of any sort they'd just send a letter," Dave says.

"Yeah I guess so," Evie nods, still unable to think maybe this was some sort of mistake.

"You need to stop second guessing yourself. Your amazing. And talented, and the people at Rolling-mother-fucking-Stone Magazine are lucky enough to see it!" Dave assures her and Evie laughs.

"You know I love you right? Have I told you that before?" Evie jokes, placing her hands on either side of Dave's face before leaning in to plant a kiss on his lips.

"Mm, maybe once or twice," Dave jokes back as they pull apart.

"Well I'm going to have a shower then head home," Evie tells Dave, patting him on the chest.