One - A Big Fuck You To The End Of The World

©️BornToSpark

With a confident grin, Jungkook gripped onto the hilt of his scythe, raised it up high, and swung down with a mighty blow. You could hear the rattling of the thick chains toppling onto the floor, followed by the padlock that linked them. With that done, Jungkook opened one of the doors, propping it with his boot for you to step in first.

"Always the gentleman..." You teased.

"Oh, shut it."

Your feet echoed like thunder through the empty halls of the industrial office building, stone walls catching the sounds and throwing them back at you. As always lately, was is eerily quiet, wind whispering through each rooms, reminding you of the times these places were actually filled with life.

"You think we can sleep here?" You asked while crouching down, examining the underside of the office tables to make sure that you wouldn't get any nasty surprises tonight.

"Dunno, 'yer the brains, Chickie." Jungkook replied, the ever uncaring simpleton he is.

"Well, we'll stay here then, I guess." You huffed, lifting yourself off the dirty floor, "I call dibs on the tables though, nothing's gonna make me sleep on the ground."

"Suit yourself." He waved dismissing, before shouldering his scythe, free hand slipping into his pocket, "Gonna look around for a bit, 'kay?"

"M-hmm." You gestured towards the other rooms, "Do your thing." You jerked the bag with your very few belongings onto one of the tables, starting to rummage through it whilst trying to climb onto the furniture that wasn't originally made to be sat on.

But well, you supposed one of the perks of apocalypse would be ensured weight loss, so you wouldn't need to worry.

Whilst Jungkook was making a fuss out of completely destroying the other rooms in favor of checking for prowlers, you allowed yourself to close your eyes, letting your mind drift away for a second.

This - relaxing with your eyes closed - was something you didn't get to do a lot lately, having to be on guard 24/7 and all. Unfortunately so, since useless daydreaming had been one of your favorite past times back then.

"You'll never get a real job if you don't get your head out of the clouds soon."

"You're a dreamer, sweetheart, wake up."

"Reality doesn't happen in your head. Grow up."

Those were things you'd typically gotten to hear on a daily - deserved to hear, honestly.

Yet I am the one having survived

It was painfully ironic.

"All done. Nothing's in there." Jungkook's voice chimed through your head.

...

...

"...Kiddo? You good?"

You cracked one eye open, seeing the man stand right across from you, on the other side of the room.

Jeon Jungkook. A person you'd never expected to become friends with, until the fucking apocalypse tore your understanding of what was right and wrong apart entirely.

Long, curly brown hair framing his handsome, chiseled face, the scar he got when you first met running down his right eyebrow, over his temple, until it stopped shortly over his cheekbone. Thick, expressive eyebrows, traitorously innocent doe eyes and a pair of pouty lips. That was the face you'd gotten so accustomed of seeing, the only face you ever got to see in this merciless mess that your world had become.

He wore that worn out leather jacket you only ever saw him in over  a dirty, white tee, with chunky, black combat boots, a pair of ripped, blue jeans and the old army rucksack that you had started to cherish yourself.

A familiar picture after only a few weeks of knowing him.

How strange the thought was, after you got to know yourself as a person who needed years to feel a connection to other people.

"Kiddo?" Jungkook repeated his question, moving forwards while placing his ridiculously large weapon, that he got from who-knows-where, on the wall next to you, before sitting down onto your table, "You tired? Hope you're not getting sick on me. Y'know that'd be both our deaths."

"No, no." You waved it off chuckling, "Was just thinking."

"Ah." He grunted, letting himself slump backwards against the brittle wall, "You do that a lot. Is a good thing. That way I don't have to do the thinking."

You snorted. That was such a Jungkook thing to say.

Both of you had quickly figured out that you worked the best if you just did what you were best at. Meaning; you were the brains and Jungkook the brawns, pretty much.

While he was stunningly good at beating prowlers to a pulp, he wasn't a very prospective person; Acting out of impulse was his absolute brand. Your overthinking ass had to somehow make up for it.

"I still don't know how you survived that long without me." You teased cheekily.

He stuck out his tongue, "Right back at 'cha. How did those toothpick arms fight off prowlers without me around?"

You shook your head, "They didn't. These toothpick legs just had to run real fast."

Jungkook lowered his gaze, eyeing said legs for a moment, before jumping off the table and slapping your right thigh with a grin, "You've got yourself some nice legs after all."

You yelped, kicking after him surprised which he dodged easily, as expected.

"You little- where are you going?!"

"Jerkin' off, duh." Jungkook said sarcastically, grabbing his scythe from the wall and spinning it in his hands easily, before walking off, "Gon' go check outside, ya fuckin' moron."

You gaped for a moment, before brushing it off, used to Jungkook's... vulgar approach to things.

He was just like that.

You didn't know why, where he came from and what his background was. Why he knew how to wield this scythe of his like a fucking machine or why he talked so lightly about how things used to be. Why he was so unbothered about killing these former humans, that you now call prowlers - oh yeah, and why he was illiterate. He didn't know how to read.

Truthfully, you preferred keeping it like that - ignorance is bliss, after all.

Jungkook was your ticket to surviving in this novel-ripe, post-apocalyptic environment and vice versa and you would sure as fuck not do anything to threaten this amazingly smooth working dynamic between you two by poking your nose into his business.

Your old lifes weren't relevant anymore, anyways. What counted was the here and now.

And NOW both of you needed to live and tell the apocalypse to go fuck itself. And you could only do this together.

___

Alternative title for this story: A random collection of Jungkook and Y/N's unhappy incidents during the apocalypse.

xx