Thirty Eight - In A World With No Law, Morals Are All We Have

"So, you just got to know Jungkook because your dad was working for his boss?" I asked while climbing up the outer stairs next to Taehyung, unusually strong wind having me shield my eyes away, "Wow, I always just kind of assumed you knew him because you... were in the same situation as him."

Taehyung shrugged with a small, awkward smile, "No, Jungkook's case is unique as far as I know."

The sun had slowly risen already, though it was covered by a thick layer of clouds - a sight I yet had to get used to, only knowing Jeju in either bright sunlight or clear, starry nights. Just like always seemed the rising sun to repel the guests of this place, no one to be seen at the outside as soon as the sky shifted from a deep black to a dull grey.

Taehyung had hesitantly followed me when I declared that I would get something to eat - my best bet was that Jungkook had forced him to look over me while he wasn't around. He'd seemed very suspicious about the folks around here, after all.

"Shit, it looks like it's gonna be raining." The blond men muttered, eyeing the sad looking sky gloomily.

"Thunderstorm probably." I added whilst pushing open the doors to the reception, "The extreme heatwaves lately had to unload into something like this."

Taehyung looked antsy at my retort, throwing multiple glances behind him while we crossed the entry hall.

"What?" I stopped to look at him, "If you have something to take care of, go. I don't wanna hold you back-" I grinned, "-no matter what Kook told you."

He breathed out a nervous chuckle, "Yeah, I'm sorry. I just- I better go warn Jin and Yeji, they're still working outside and-"

"It's fine, idiot. Go ahead." I shook my head in disbelief.

"Okay. Yeah." He turned around on his heels waving at me as he left, "I'll get going then, please take the short cut through the library and look for Joon as soon as you're in the dining hall!"

And with that he was gone and I was left alone in the empty entrance space, thunder growling in the background. Sounded like I was right about the thunderstorm.

Short cut through the library?

I shrugged, turning left to where I knew the library was. Namjoon and Jungkook were probably waiting for me already.

A modern place with large windows pointing at the house own waterpark. On sunny days the room was flooded by light, looking inviting to settle down and read a book. On cloudy days on the other hand the place looked depressing, large, empty tables like a very abstract reminder of how lonely the world had gotten.

For a few seconds my steps clacking on the old wooden floor were the only sounds around, until the sounds of around three more pairs of feet joined in, moving through the aisles of books on my right side.

Naturally I walked faster, not wanting to get caught alone by ANY of the habitants of this hotel.

I soon learned that it were definitely more than three people roaming around the place, when I practically ran into the arms of a group of six grown men - who looked pleasantly surprised.

"Hello there, little one." One of them rasped, pushing back his olive green coat in an attempt to make himself look any less disheveled (he did not succeed), "You lost?"

"Not really." I looked for a route that would allow me to pass them with as much distance as possible, but the only way out seemed to require me squeezing myself through the group. Great.

"I'm always surprised when I see young girls like her here." Another dude with a large western hat croaked, searching the eyes of his pals for approval - he didn't even address me directly.