Forty Two - Finale

There was nothing better than running down a dusty road while Jungkook was sprinting ahead, flinging his scythe around to behead prowlers while determinedly screaming "You've heed your last haws, fuckers!"

Your journey to Ilyang was slowly coming to an end an the giddy excitement in the both of you was making itself evident in the way your behavior in life-threatening situations like these were getting sillier and sillier.

Maybe, you thought, I had to stop being scared first before starting the real part of my travels.

You'd dwelled on this very thing a lot in the past two days: All this time you'd spent with fighting for your survival from one day to another, had been nothing but disorientation in this new world. What you were about to do, what Jungkook and you were about to do now - this was important. It was leading somewhere. You had a goal.

Finding the cause of all of this, meeting other survivors and learning about the situation in other countries - whatever it would be you two would find, it would be at least a step in a better direction.

You weren't scared of what you would find, Jungkook was with you after all.

"Yo, Chickie!" Jungkook, who'd run too far ahead already, shouted, having stopped at the edge of a slight slope. He was pointing at a chain-link fence surrounded area a few hundred meters further down, "S' that it?"

You nodded, "Yep."

You eyed the area sizzling in the heat, "Are the planes in these two large halls?" He asked.

"Yes, but they're called hangars."

"Fuckin' know-it-all," Jungkook rolled his eyes, "They just look like halls to me."

"Yeah but when you store planes in them you call them hangars."

Jungkook stared at the hangars skeptically, shrugging, "Alright, if ya say so." Before jumping down the slope, slithering over the crumbly soil.

You glared at him, "What do you mean "if you say so"? That's what they're called!"

"Ain't no one left to back that up, Chibi!" Jungkook threw over his shoulder. You scowled while carefully climbing after him, dust and earth crumbs getting into your shoes while you stumbled down the slope.

The sun was hanging low already, the dry meadows around you drowned in flaming orange as the  aerodrome gradually came closer.

You caught up to Jungkook, sliding your hand into his, "We'll have to sleep here, can't fly at night."

"D'you think the planes will be in good shape still?"

"They're always taken care of well and the hangars are always safe and closed, so yes, probably."

Jungkook sighed, his hand tightening around yours, "This is... exciting."

You cocked a brow, "Even for you?"

He grinned, "Yeah, even for me. Never been on a plane, did ya know?"

"This is all the more concerning considering you said you would fly."

"Yeah, and I will."

"I don't know yet." You chuckled, "But yeah, I'm also excited. I have no clue where this will lead us."

Jungkook stopped, pulling on your arm to swish you around, against his chest, "I'm not worried tho." He smiled down at you, "I want to see the whole world, Chickie. With you."

You got on your tip-toes, placing a short, sweet kiss on his lips, "We will. I can't wait."

The last rays of sunshine felt warm on your skin as you were kissing there on the dusty road, cicadas chirping all around you, accompanied by the sound of wind rushing through the high grass. 

Your old lives weren't relevant anymore. What counted was the here and now.

And NOW both of you needed to live and tell the apocalypse to go fuck itself. And you could only do this together.

___

<3