Thirty Four - Things Will Change, Let's Take a Breath

The roads seemed endless, but maybe it was just the summer heat and humid climate that made your journey feel unbearable.

"It's times like these that I wish we still had the car." You mumbled, while letting Jungkook rest his weight onto your shoulder as you made a small pause

To your luck you hadn't encountered any prowlers so far - surprisingly so, Jeju seemed to have a lot less of these beasts than the mainland.

The two of you had been walking for hours now, sun already having started to set; You've lost track of time eventually and Jungkook had already gone over to his annoying-Y/N-because-I-don't-have-anything-else-to-do phase.

"Jungkook, I know you can walk by yourself, leave my arm alone." There wasn't any bite behind your words, but oh boy was he heavy.

"But I'm hurtttt." He whined, bumping into your side on purpose, making you stumble to the side of the road.

"For a hurt person you sure talk a lot." You mumbled, having endured his non-stop babbling for who-knows-how-long now.

"Chickie, these clouds look like dinosaurs on pick-up trucks!"

"Chickie, the air tastes salty!"

"Chickie, I hate mayonnaise, it just taste so gross!"

"Chickie, you shirt's white, I can see your bra!"

(-latter got him a jab in the ribs)

"Can you blame me?" He sighed miserably, latching onto your back, making it significantly harder for you to walk, " m' not used to this- like, m' not used to doing nothin' but walking. I'm gonna go insane. If we weren't walking I could at least sleep or somethin' but nooo."

"Do you want to take a break?" You looked back at the sun that was sinking into the ocean slowly, almost nothing left of the deep orange light, "It'll be dark soon anyways."

He hesitated for a second, eyeing the city that was hidden somewhere ahead of you in the darkness, only visible to his superhuman eyes, "It'll be for the best."

You didn't say it but you were relieved that he finally allowed himself to take a break- not only because you worried for him, but also for rather selfish reasons-

In his current shape he wouldn't be able to fight any larger prowlers and you didn't want to risk anything with his idiotic ass, but after a good night of sleep you knew he would feel better. He'd always recovered quickly.

After he'd agreed to sleeping you'd marched blindly into a field on the side of the road, wanting to stay as hidden as possible in case that there was some lost prowler strolling around.

You used the old flannel shirt you'd taken off long ago on your sweaty journey as a pillow, uncomfortably laying down into the high grass (you tried not to think too much about all these insects crawling around you).

You heard Jungkook lie down next to you, felt the warmth of his body merely inches away from you, while staring up into the starry sky. The sky had never looked so beautiful back then.

You'd never been able to see that many stars at once before all of this, artificial lights of society having polluted the sky. It was breathtaking, the endless pattern of small lights winking at you from above - the more you searched for them, the more you could see.

"Jungkook?" You mumbled into the darkness.

"Hm?"

"What are you going to do when we find a refugee?"

Silence engulfed you for a moment.

"We'll see."

"I don't like that answer."