Chapter 34

So while the citizens in Konoha were peacefully going on with their daily lives, Kirigakure was at a brutal war, with their ally Konohagakure providing essential backup and necessary supplies. It lasted a total of two months and fifteen days before Yagura was pronounced dead.

And the rebellion forces emerged the victor, with Terumi Mei as the new Mizukage.

Kirigakure was trying to rebuild themself from the smithereens that was once a village and the last thing they needed was an unstable jinchuriki, something I thought the Hokage had already taken into account.

I was called into the Hokage's office that late afternoon, along with Shisui, and I had foolishly thought it was for a mission briefing for yet another missing family heirloom, a type of mission Shisui had insisted would be useful in the future.

On a good note, there were almost no killings in each of these missions.

Keyword: almost.

The two of us walked down the corridor, chatting about certain parts of the Body Flicker Technique that I needed to improve on, our sandals clicking on the wooden floor and resonating in the usually quiet hallway.

I had taken years to study it and even though it worked almost like a shunshin, the level of chakra control requires was higher due to the jutsu's ability to mobilize a person extremely far distances, compared to a shunshin's mere meters, and with exact precision. The Body Flicker technique was like the renowned Hiraishin in many ways, the very technique that tipped the Third Shinobi War in Konoha's favor. So, I guess, that's a definite plus.

The moment we stepped into the room, a silver of shock momentarily crossed my face upon seeing the its occupants. Gai, Yamato, Jiraiya and two ANBUs.

"Our bad, Hokage-sama," I muttered before trying to drag Shisui out of the room with me, clearly feeling guilty that I interrupted their meeting, but not as much as being unable to detect the multiple chakra signatures in the room before entering.

"Apology not needed, Naka-chan," Hiruzen replied with an easy-going smile. "And you are in the right place, please give Shisui's arm back its blood flow and close the door behind you."

Fleeting embarrassment threatened to rise up my face but I shoved it back down, feeling the need to be professional in a room full of high ranking officers.

"Flower of youth blooms bright with the respectful youngling!" Gai exclaimed with a pearly white smile and gave me a wink before turning back to the Hokage.

"Mission briefing," the Hokage started and all the attention snapped back to him, everyone in the room standing up a little bit straighter. "S-rank mission, classified. Transfer the Isobu into a new jinchuriki and make sure both the tailed beast and the jinchuriki return to Konohagakure safe and unscarred." He took one look at all of us. "Dismissed."

Hokage says what now?

Jiraiya, the leader of the mission for obvious reasons, ran a hand through his hair and let out a sigh. "Meet me at the front gate in an hour, and bring enough for a seven to twelve days mission."

I shunshined back to my bedroom and grabbed the bag I've packed in case of emergency missions and set it on my bed before rolling out storage scrolls to pack other necessities I'd need for a long term mission.

"Please prepare some paperwork for a new bakery, too, if you would." I requested without turning around to look at Mamoru, his presence being made clear the moment I set foot in the room. "And you've been waiting for me because...?"

"Just wondering why you got called in for such a dangerous mission." He said, his tail swishing to tickle my ankle. "And I'm here to give you the report from Ame's bakery."