51: Hope Vs Despair

.
.
.
.

The heroine felt the pain carried by her words and she couldn't help but shed tears. The despair everyone was feeling began intensifying her.

She was trembling so much she couldn't talk.

'I'm guilty aren't I?'

'Because of my indifference, I created a pathetic heroine.'

"Seriously though, I worry how this Empire turns out after I die." Knile lied as she glanced at the empress.

"But you were the one who started the crisis! You should be ashamed of yourse-"

She then sharply turned towards the noble who had the gut to talk.

"I know! I'm not an idiot miss. I'm talking about how pathetic the future empress is. Why is she crying? Shouldn't she be dignified and faced me rationally? And what's with your future Emperor? He only cares about Astaria, how about his people?"

No one retorted, causing their silence a sign of defeat. The people felt hopeless against her. Some gritted their teeth in frustration which cause Knile to smirk.

"And besides, have you ever wondered what are the good sides of the chaos I created? Or something that benefits you people?"

The villainess waited for an answer and she received none. She then turned her head towards the witch who was introduced as Knile's grandmother.

"I'm pretty sure you had a lot of advantages miss witch. It was actually entertaining to watch you convince everyone you aren't their enemy. You use the fact that I was the only enemy in this room to gain their trust. You manipulated their ignorance and used me, your own granddaughter to enter this cathedral to mock everyone and avenge yourself was it not?"

Her glowing red eyes show nothing else but insanity. Her slight closed-lipped smile causes the witch to shiver. It's just a matter of time before the witch denies it, accusing her of lying.

'Between truth and lies, I wonder how the audience will perceive it.'

The trust the witch establish was starting to wither. The talk about being a citizen of the empire was becoming a lie for the nobles. It was like an excuse to gain their trust! Oh, how despicable, they got fooled! 

"Y-you are lying!"

Her actions which Knile predicted came true. Her grandmother was losing her calmness and she doesn't understand why she felt threatened by her, a mere teenager.

The witch crosses her arms as she looks at Knile with hatred.

"No, I'm not. The nobles might understand it since you people know how to take advantage of the peasants. I'm just informing them that they are being taken advantage of. You are the only one who holds the information and evidence that I caused the commotions and you know, your pretty useless. I don't understand the need for Arundel to sacrifice himself when I can just confess everything! I made a deal with a dragon, learned how to use my dark magic properly, and cursed the empire to experience such despair!"

Her legs trembled as she stares at Knile with widening eyes. Sweat started appearing on her forehead as her eyes darted towards the duke.

Knile wasn't holding back anymore, she was ready to die and finish the game she started. She yanked the chains with great force as an insane smile overcome her smirk.

"It was actually fun! People fighting each other with their worthless ideology was quite humorous. They were brainwashed by the scriptures the religion released! The scriptures I rewrote! Their spiritual self and their loyalty towards the goddess cause massive uproar and terror that they really started killing the so-called witches! They followed the scriptures I wrote like an obedient dog!"