Chapter 5: Fluttering Butterflies

"There was stardust on your cheeks; that's how you brightened up my vision

"There was stardust on your cheeks; that's how you brightened up my vision." 

-----

The sound of birds chirping in the near distance was what woke her up from her slumber. Chaeri rubbed her eyes, seeing the sun shining behind the cover of clouds up in the sky, and she propped herself up. 

She grinned at the rising day; although the days weren't kind to her, today, she had something to look forward to. 

Meeting that Australian newcomer. 

As she thought about him, she suddenly stopped herself midway, reducing the grin on her face to a tight smile. She shouldn't be thinking as much about him. After all, she had only met him a day ago. Where was this newfound hope shining from? 

Chaeri shook her head to drive the questions away - as if that could happen. 

Going down the steps, she sneaked into her shared room when Jeongin was still asleep. She fondly looked at her brother asleep, looking more innocent than the times when he was awake. Stretching her limbs, she checked the time, and knowing that it was the time for him to wake up, she shook him gently, earning a groan from him. 

"Five more minutes, noona," he grumbled, pulling the blanket over his face. 

Chaeri silently giggled and pulled the blanket down, then getting complaints from Jeongin. It took her five more tries before the younger opened his eyes and woke up, pouting. 

"You're mean," he groaned, and she moved her hand back and forth before her face, indicating that she was saying 'thank you'. 

"Alright, I'm up." 

-----

Chaeri walked into her classroom, furtively looking around to see if Felix was there or not. She sighed in disappointment when she noticed that he hadn't arrived yet. She stepped towards her usual seat, dropping her books on the table and making some space to place her arms on it, and then put her head down on them. 

Minutes later, someone tapped on her shoulder. 

She rose instantaneously, looking up to see Felix smiling at her. At his bright beam, she couldn't help but grin as well. Seriously, his smile was contagious. 

"Good morning!" he greeted her, sliding down on the seat beside her, and she nodded. 

"Did you sleep well?

She nodded. 

"I couldn't. All I was thinking about yesterday night was how that girl made me feel like an outcast... Am I really that hopeless a case?

Chaeri shook her head, and then grabbed her notepad and wrote: Don't let their lack of common sense get to you. These people have an inflated ego. 

"True!" he grinned again, his blonde hair covering one of his eyes. 

She had never had such a strong urge to move hair from someone's sight. 

Perhaps catching her intent, Felix combed his hair back, and his eyes, colored like dark chocolate, were visible now. Chaeri didn't notice when she started to stare boldly at his face; probably because her gaze caught the sight of his adorable freckles again. 

Those little stars scattered all over his small, cute face were most probably the highlight of his bare face. Although his eyes were dreamy and his lips were pouty, she felt the most drawn to his freckles. 

As she connected each freckle with one another, she saw his lips curve upwards. 

Her eyes snapped up to his, and she lowered her gaze to her lap as quickly as she had drawn her eyes to his. 

"You have beautiful eyes," he blurted out, and she widened her eyes, looking back at his, inwardly questioning if someone had really complimented her. 

"Let me guess. You're not used to receiving compliments, right?" he wildly guessed. 

Her lack of answer proved his suspicions right, and not leaving her gaze, he bit his lower lip and said, "I feel bad...

No, she didn't want anyone to pity her. She didn't want sympathy of any kind. Knowing this, she averted her eyes from his to the table, wondering how she even gained the boldness of looking at him straight in the eye. She was generally too insecure and underconfident to attempt that with someone. 

Felix realized his mistake, and instantly flailed his hands in the air and exclaimed, "No, wait, it wasn't supposed to come out like that! I'm so sorry!

Chaeri shrugged. 

"What I meant is that I can't imagine how someone as beautiful as you doesn't receive compliments.

That sent butterflies fluttering in her stomach. Color rose to her face when he said that, and she slowly looked up at him, her eyes asking him if he truly meant that. 

"I mean it," he said, and her eyes went wide again. 

How did he know what she was thinking? Were her eyes that expressive, or was he just too good at reading people? 

"Okay, let's make a deal," he grinned, 

"How about you teach me sign language and I compliment you every day?

(a/n: this is gonna get cute in the upcoming chapters hehe, stay tuned! PLEASE share this story and leave your comments!)