Chapter 16: Common Ground

"A starburst doesn't define my need for you, my universe

"A starburst doesn't define my need for you, my universe."

-----

Samyraa and Felix walked side by side, an unspoken awkward atmosphere surrounding them. True, Samyraa had been bold enough to defy him twice, but that didn't mean that she would not be awkward when alone with him.

"So..." Felix stretched his arms, and she looked at him.

"So, um," she tried her best to start a conversation, "How's your family?"

"They're good, I guess," he replied, "I haven't seen them in person for about two weeks now, but I do video call them every day. My sister's really excited for me to make friends here."

"That's pretty cute," Samyraa smiled, "They're all here in Korea, too?"

"Yeah! How about yours?" Felix energetically nodded.

"Well..." she spoke, "Only my brother and I live here. The rest of my family is in India. My parents, my uncle and aunt, my niece, my cousins — everyone's back there."

"Why didn't they come along?" he questioned.

"I actually came here with my brother because I got a scholarship in a popular competition held in my school two years ago. Plus, I've always been interested in k-pop, so I learned the language by interest," she shrugged.

Felix stopped walking, "Oh, my god, K-pop?"

"Yeah?" she halted too.

He exclaimed, "Do you like Twice?"

"Yes! Gosh, yes!" Samyraa excitedly responded.

"Who's your bias?"

"Jihyo! She's such a queen!"

"I can't choose anyone from the group, to be honest. They're all amazing!" Felix gushed.

"For real!"

And with that, they found a common ground to talk about.

-----

Chaeri sat alone by her window seat, watching people chat and laugh. The notebook's page before her was already filled with doodles, having gotten bored and lonely sitting alone throughout the recess.

She turned the page, picking up her pencil and drawing a tiny star in the middle of the page. Then, an idea struck her.

She drew a nose beside the star, which trailed up the eyebrows of the figure she was intending to draw. Sketching the eyebrows and the imperfectly drawn nose, she drew the eyes — wide, doe eyes, that carried love undoubtedly.

The eyes took a lot of shading, but she wasn't afraid of the challenge. Drawing the outline of the face, she admired her attempt at drawing that person.

And to complete the sketch, she added what was missing — the freckles.

Drawing tiny hearts scattered across his cheeks, she smiled when she finished her sketch; the sketch of none other than Lee Felix. And was surprisingly bold enough to put a little heart on the corner of the page, beside his name.

Chaeri decided that she was going to show it to him as a surprise... when she heard a deep chuckle outside the window.

Her head involuntarily snapped at the source of the sound, and there, she saw him.

Laughing out loud at something Samyraa had said, his eyes gleaming with joy.

She felt a pang of jealousy hit her heart, and staring at Felix laughing so heartily, she realised something.

He seemed much happier with Samyraa than with her.

She looked back at her notebook, which now seemed like a sorry excuse of a surprise.

So feeling the resentment, she closed the notebook and kept it aside.

-----

"You're literally so hilarious!" Felix laughed, wiping a tear that slipped due to him laughing too hard.

"That, I am," Samyraa flipped her hair, giggling along with him.

The two were walking back to the classroom, and the two hadn't stopped talking ever since they escaped from the awkward phase.

"It's so fun talking to you, Felix," Samyraa grinned, watching him grin like an adorable child.

Because, after thirty minutes of talking,  she had realised how she wanted to be more than friends with him.

(a/n: oh yeah drama

DOUBLE UPDATE AT 3:19 AM HEHE

Did you like it? Do leave votes and comments!!

Thanks for reading! I love you!)