Chapter 15: Reassurance

"True, it is - the stars are alive in your eyes; twinkling

"True, it is - the stars are alive in your eyes; twinkling."

-----

The following days weren't so pleasant, to be exact.

Jeongin's job's owner wasn't exactly going easy on him, keeping him in for night shifts almost every night. He would skip school days and sleep in the day. Sometimes, Chaeri would find him passed out on his bed when she returned from school.

Although Chaeri was worried about Jeongin, she felt like she was just a liability for him. After all, she couldn't work, because nobody wished to hire a mute girl.

She wanted to help him earn and reduce some baggage from his shoulders, and let him rest. Her poor little brother worked too hard for his own good.

And thinking about it while sitting on her desk, in the school, Felix hopped into the seat next to hers and tapped her shoulder, "You're spacing out."

She was alarmed, having been snapped out of her thoughts pretty aggressively, and she managed to write: sorry, just have some stuff on my mind.

"What is it?"

She wrote: nothing much, I suppose.

"Chaeri," Felix whined, "You know you can tell me what's going on, right? I'm no stranger to you, am I?"

Sighing, Chaeri wrote down: I feel like a liability to Jeongin, because the person who has hired him is forcing too much work on him and I can't even help him earn.

Felix frowned, "No, you're not, Chaeri. Why would you feel like that?"

She penned down: having always considered myself inferior, it's not a big deal to have a revelation like that. I'll get over it... maybe.

Felix read, and then bit his lip. Not knowing any alternative to express his feelings, he held her shoulders very delicately, but firm enough to turn her towards himself, and started, "Chaeri, you're not inferior. Nobody in this world is. And if you still think that you are, then please, please think about me. I would never, ever consider you inferior, and I hope that's some sort of reassurance to you. I don't know how you feel about me, but I truly admire you. Yang Chaeri, you're precious, and you are far from some term like 'inferior'. Please, don't think that way ever again."

Chaeri sat dumbfounded. The conviction in his voice and the power his words held sure left an impact on her. Did she want to believe him? Yes, she did.

Did that make her feel warm and fuzzy inside? A hundred percent.

As she stared at him in confusion upon the sudden turn of events, she watched how his eyes were solemn and resolute, and how his freckles still managed to make him appear cute.

Then, she let loose a smile.

Upon looking at that, Felix released a breath he didn't know he had been holding. It seemed as if all the determination he held for her settled into place when she smiled.

"Do you promise that you won't think of yourself as inferior again?"

Chaeri nodded.

Felix grinned as well, showing his pearly whites, and spoke, "You're the strongest person I've ever met."

She giggled: and that's on today's compliments.

He laughed, "Yeah, now teach me som-"

"Hey, Felix and Chaeri!" Came Samyraa's voice as she approached them. The two grinned as she arrived.

"Wanna go out for lunch with me, Felix?" she managed to ask, a tint of red dusting her skin. She was never the one to ask anyone out for lunch, even if she was friends with them.

However, Felix somehow managed to change that. After staying up all night thinking about ways to spend some time with him, she had resorted to asking him for lunch with him. Nothing fishy, right? Just friends eating lunch together.

And about the "friends" part there, that was the exact motive of hers - to understand whether she felt like friends with him, or more. She hoped it was the former; she wasn't the one to have crushes and waste time thinking about them.

To unravel her feelings, she needed to understand him and her attraction towards him.

"Uh... sure?" Felix was surprised as well when she asked that. But out if politeness and the bond of friendship, he agreed, even though he wanted to spend some more time with Chaeri.

"C-Cool!" Samyraa muttered and turned away, embarrassed that she stuttered.

Felix looked at Chaeri to excuse himself and apologize for leaving her midway through their conversation, but she shook her head, motioning him to go with her.

And as the two walked away, Chaeri sighed.

(a/n: don't worry; I won't let the cuteness leave this story :D

Did you like this chapter?

Thanks for reading! I love you!)