Chapter 10: Taking The Blame

"Stay with me, even when the comets shoot down at us to break us down

"Stay with me, even when the comets shoot down at us to break us down."

-----

Having shifted his stuff to his new dorm, Chaeri found herself grabbing his wrist softly and leading him to her room, and as confused as he was initially, he understood what she wanted to tell him so badly that she had started crying.

"Is that why you were crying? Because... you couldn't express yourself?" Felix cautiously questioned, and with a sad smile, she nodded.

He sighed, but not in disappointment, "Chaeri, I might be a literal idiot sometimes, but I'll try my best to understand you. And don't think that I'm saying this out of pity. I really want to be someone you confide in."

Her eyes gleamed with hope, and her lips curved upwards into a radiant smile, and only one thought played in her mind:

Maybe people weren't so bad, after all.

-----

The next morning, Chaeri waited right outside Felix's dorm, having Jeongin skip a day since he came home at 4 in the morning. She impatiently tapped her foot in anticipation, her heart beating at an uneven pace for reasons she couldn't quite understand.

Her foot-tapping came to a halt when the door to his room swung open, and he emerged out of the chamber, clad in their school uniform. Upon seeing her, he exclaimed, "Oh, Chaeri! Wait- we can go to school together now!"

She joyously nodded, a bright grin appearing on her face. She had to admit that whenever she was with him, she couldn't resist his contagious smile - well, except for the previous night.

So Felix locked his door and accompanied her towards the stairs. The school was at walking distance of about two minutes, and as soon as they reached the school premises, they watched as people stared at the duo.

Both of them didn't pay attention to it, since they were already used to all the stares and gossips. However, this time, people chuckled and pointed at them in a condescending manner.

The two looked at each other, perplexed as to why people were all of a sudden laughing at them. Although Chaeri was accustomed to it, Felix felt self-conscious. He checked to see if his shirt was correctly tucked into his pants, or if his hair were disheveled.

She noticed it, and her hands automatically went to his, intertwining with his small, slender fingers, and as Felix felt the touch, he looked at her. She simply crinkled her eyes with a small smile, reassuring him that it was okay.

He wasn't fully convinced, but with her warm hands in his and that eye smile, he knew that he wasn't alone.

They briskly walked to their class, and the first they saw was Chan running towards them and panicking, asking, "Were you two together last night?"

"Huh?" Felix was baffled at the sudden question, "What do you mean?"

"Someone made a video of both of you meeting last night, and uploaded it on social media," Chan informed, showing them the video.

Chaeri and Felix watched as they were being filmed from behind. They watched as Chaeri hugged Felix, and as they parted, they carried their stuff into Felix's new room. The audio was erased... until the recorder added fake moans and grunts into the video.

"What the-" Felix frowned, his hand falling away from Chaeri's, "I swear, Chan! We were only shifting my stuff into my new room!"

"I know, Felix," Chan disappointedly muttered, "They just make fun of anyone at this point."

Chaeri stood in despair, looking at Felix, who had turned lousy and unenergetic all of a sudden. And when you are in a frame of mind where you consider yourself inferior, you tend to take the blame upon yourself.

She drew out her notepad and hurriedly wrote down: I'm sorry for everything, Felix.

"No! Why would you blame yourself?" Felix pouted, "This isn't any of our faults!"

She sighed in sadness, and seeing that, Chan muttered to her, "He's right, Chaeri. You don't need to take the blame."

She realized that it was the first time someone as popular as Bang Chan had tried to talk to her. And wait, he even knew her name?

That, however, was not the concern at the moment.

This time, Felix was the one who entwined his fingers with hers, inwardly getting shy over the bold move. If she could comfort him that easily, then he could try to do so too. Not for the sake of it, but because he genuinely cared; he didn't know when or how, but he did.

And Chaeri looked at him with wide, teary eyes, and he smiled at her, saying, "It's going to be alright."

If she was with him, it would be, she decided.

(a/n: sorry for the low-key boring chapter lmao

thanks for reading! I love you!)